First Beardie and I m freaking out!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your tank is it a 40 gallon? If so you are going to want to upgrade to a larger tank here soon- they quickly out grow them and recommended tank size for a full bearded dragon is a 75-120 gallon tank --- I have a 120 gallon tank and I have a 24" T5 hood w/ a 14% Arcadia bulb in side the tank -- so if you want you could go w/ the same size as mine if your planning to upgrade -- it depends on what you want the Reptisun 10.0 come in either the T 5 or a T 8 - the T 8's take a regular fixture and the T 5 is a flat fixture - the T 5 is a stronger bulb and only needs replaced every year the T 8 is not as strong and needs to be replaced every 6 months- they come in different sizes like 18 " 20" I think or 22" -- the T 5 will not come smaller than a 24" I believe -- you can get the T 8's and fixtures from Petco Petsmart - I have not seen the fixtures for T 5's at those stores here where I live-- it is up to you on what you want-- the higher the watt of the bulb is better-
Karrie

ZionDagger

Original Poster
Dudia Roaches check. I got small and medium. The associate said to feed him 5 small per day ???? That doesn’t sound right !!!! Order the new uvb today and hopefully can get fast shipping. Also I have a trip planned in June for a week. Any advise about Dee traveling with us or Beardie sitter.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Feed your dragon as many dubias he/ she will eat in a 10-15 minute time frame--- often bad advice is given from people that work at pet smart / petco--- most do not own bearded dragons and have not a clue as to how to take care of them--- I have never traveled w/ Hiccup other than to the vet and he has his own carrier for that---- as far as leaving him home I would get some one you trust to take care of him/her-- make sure you go over all the details of how your caring for your baby--- you can always get a timer for the lights to have them shut on and off every 12 hrs and then have someone come over and feed them every day - two times per day --- make sure you tell them they need to dust bugs and I would just have them watch you do it for a couple of days before you leave--- that goes for cleaning as well ---I have never gone off and left my dragon for any length of time either so its hard for me to say--- just know I would do what I have told you --some others on here would have ideas as well
Karrie

ZionDagger

Original Poster
It was actually at a reptile store and she seemed to be on some happy juice LOL. Right now Dee gets 4-6 large roaches 2-3 times a day and a salad (with fruits and veggies) 1 time a day. I was planning on doing the same with the Dubai roaches.
One other issue (seems to become MAJOR) I haven’t seen Dee drink and used a curved Syringe when I got home, it took a lot and even squired some in his face on accident but he drank. How can I get him to drink ? Sorry for all of there questions but a book can’t always help and I rather ask someone with experience. Thanks on the travel advice. I will have someone I know watch over him while I m gone. I m worry it will take him out of his/ her routine ( if I ever get one LOL)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He will be fine--- as far as water-- you can wash his vegies before serving-- or you can bathe him -- once a day or every 2- and you can drop water on his nose to see if he will lick it--- but bathing is a good option- have you bathed him yet?
Karrie

ZionDagger

Original Poster
I bath Dee every 2 days (next bath tomorrow) and gets clean and fresh water daily. Is it true to put Beardie in his bowl of water to introduce it and teach to drink?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not heard that before- usually they don't drink from a bowl-- some do some dont-- mine does not-- it's the water movement that attracts their attention-- if your bathing him everyday he's not dehydrated--- and that is why he wouldn't be drinking from bowl--
Karrie

ZionDagger

Original Poster
Update - Dee is doing well but didn’t like the Dubia roaches; so weird! So we back to Crickets and we will try Dubia a little later again. Any other suggestions? However, Dee’s whole body shed all in once yesterday and actually freaked me out LOL. The new light came in also yesterday but still have to wait on the 10.0 bulb to come in (it came with a 5.0)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yeah I don't know why the 5.0 bulb--- they are more for tropical reptiles--- go figure about the dubias-- some like them and some dont-- mine wasn't hot on crickets and went for the dubias--they say they she'd their whole body like 2 times per year I have heard
Karrie

ZionDagger

Original Poster
That’s what came with the hood but I won’t set it up until the other bulb comes in. What other protein is good for Dee? Also why is Dee so skittish? We are very careful trying to touch and picking him/ her up.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Bugs--- crickets dubias blow fly larvea are all good protein-- keep dusting the bugs except the blow fly they are high in calcium-- the skittish is age- once they get used to you and surroundings he/she will calm down - it's part of relocation stress--
Karrie

AjMac

Something I haven't seen other address (unless I missed it which is a good possibility!) is the running from you and sleeping in the corner thing.
That's a dragon thing. :lol: Jabba will press his nose to the glass of his tank in the corner and look like he's pouting, or lay with his body half on, half off his rock in the corner, one leg up touching something and the rest look like he's doing a swimming backstroke, hide his face under his rock (because he's so big now he can't hide under it anymore) or sleep in this weird neck-breaking pose that looks like it has to hurt. I call it lizard yoga. :lol: And it seems to be a fairly common thing.

ZionDagger

Original Poster
Lol that sound like it hurts ?. We just want Dee to feel loved and at home. My Son is very patient standing on a crate (so he can reach in the tank) speaking and trying to touch Dee but his running away from him. We do this daily for about 5 min but don’t want to make it worst either. ? what should we do or don’t ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Keep putting hands in tank--- go about your business cleaning etc.. pet him go slow at approaching and from side not above-- maybe put something like a piece of soft clothing blanket in his hide so he gets used to your smell-- they like soft--- like fleece etc
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom