Cold (not fridge) storage for bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
Hi all - just wanted to share my solution for those bugs that can't be stored in the fridge, but can be kept at 50ish-60ish degree temps to slow growth, etc. I have often seen wine coolers suggested for this, but they're big and costly. I found little portable electric coolers instead. They can actually be set to warm or cool, but obviously cool for this purpose. I think they were under $40. They're supposedly sized for a sixpack, but in any case they fit bug cups nicely, and the little shelf can be removed for more flexibility in what you store. :0)
102730-5751439636.jpg
102730-5045205187.jpg
102730-9347667675.jpg

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2gb43grq said:
That looks like a really good solution. Thanks for posting and sharing!
Thank you - I've gotten so much helpful information from lurking here, so it was nice to be able to share an idea. My next step is to experimentally put one of the coolers on a timer that cycles 5hrs on 1 off, to see if that keeps the temp just slightly lower (for the hornworms). They do fine now, but I'd like to try to make that small adjustment with them. ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have a johnson controls thermostat for my keg fridge that turns the power on/off (within a tolerance) depending on the temps in the fridge. There are many variants of these on/off programmable thermostats that might do the trick and fit a range of budgets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom