Baby with Tooth Lifting or Broken Jaw???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I am very stressed. Last night I was watching a baby eat crickets and I thought I heard a crack. I looked in its mouth and it appears as thought its front bottom jaw is broken, or maybe a tooth is lifting. I am having a difficult time locating a clear sketch of the dental structure for a bearded dragon.

This picture is not the actual baby, I will take a picture when I get home. This does however show where the break is and what part is lifting.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/14582/full

Can anyone tell me if she could actually have her jaw split in two? Or could this be a long front tooth that is coming out???

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If that area of the jaw is lifted, then it's possible the bone broke. Some photos would be helpful. What do you have in place for UVB lighting? Do you have an experienced reptile vet nearby? They may be able to set the jaw and secure it to help it heal properly.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Did the baby stop eating right away as if it's in pain ? It would be very unusual for that to cause a jaw fracture, something else very serious there if that's actually what happened.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Katie,

I will email you back, I am Tracie, with the pats testing website. :D
I certainly hope that the jaw isn't broken there. Is she black bearding or seem to be in any
pain at all?

Tracie

KatelovesPhyllis

Original Poster
Hi Tracie, Thank you so much for sending the tests.

Yes shes black bearding sometimes. I think shes in pain. I got a very soft dropper and fed her a mash of calcium powder and squash last night. She seems fairly out of it. She is still alive though, and I'm going to continue to carefully feed her and look after her. I thought about taking her to a vet about 4 hours away. She is so small though, I wasn't sure if they could do much about securing the jaw. There is a vet here who has infrequently dealt with Beardies, so I thought at least she could perhaps supply pain killers.

I'm starting to think this is all my fault and there was something wrong with my lighting. For a while I had the four enclosures each under a UVB. Two of the lights weren't new but they weren't over a year. When I started to notice issues at about 5 weeks, I started rotating the UVB lights just in case. I thought they could also be ill with Adeno because the symptoms matched. But now some have recovered. It took a couple weeks, but they look better. The smaller ones however have either not recovered or slightly improved very slowly. The one with the broken jaw is in the group with the smaller ones.

So either some are recovering from being sick, or they are recovering from a lack of UVB (I have always gave calcium supplements, but without proper UVB its useless). The jaw would probably indicate UVB although from what I've read Adenovirus could also cause a host of problems very similar to the symptoms the babies displayed. Not all the babies survived to improve either. This has been very sad.

This whole thing has been very awful. I researched and prepared so much prior to doing this but I still managed to fall veryvery short. Once I have the test results I will know the answer regarding the virus issue. I'm hoping the tests aren't positive, but if they aren't its so upsetting that I just failed them and caused them to suffer.

If this was a lighting problem this goes to show how important it is that you have the absolute correct UVB.

Please let me know if you think of anything else I should do or consider. I read through this forum constantly and its been so helpful.

Thank you

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm sorry to read all this bad news. Did you hatch these babies or get them from the same place or different breeders ? Can you post pics of their set ups including the lights ? Some lights actually do need replaced every 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom