Silk Worms - Where to Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I’ve been feeding my guy Phoenix worms but I’m seeing the struggle of feeding them to him regularly cuz of how tiny they are (and he’s full grown). I live in Fl so Dubias are not an option.
I hear silkies are the best feeder but not sure where is the most reputable place to order from that won’t break the bank?
Also, I hear mixed things are horned worms as regular feeders vs treats. Opinions?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I get my silkworms from Coastal Silkworms. I believe they're based in Jacksonville so that should be relatively convenient. Hornworms are a good feeder option as well. I try to provide as much variety in their diet as possible and rotate based on what is available (both bugs and veges)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I get mine from mulberryfarms. Lately they've been out of live ones though so I've been buying the eggs and growing them myself. Ends up being a bit cheaper this way.

I agree with cooper. Variety is the key to health imo.

-Brandon

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
Hi - I also live in FL, and just wanted to mention that you do have the option of discoid roaches. They're similar to dubias and are legal here. I've been getting mine from Luna Roaches (lots of shop options from them as well - they have normal website, ebay, facebook, etc). Silkworms have been hard to find, but I did get some from the silkworm shop, I think it was, if Coastal is out of stock. And if you want to still include Phoenix worms, you can get them in bulk at great prices from symtonbsf - phoenix/calci/repti worms are all brand names for BSFL (black soldier fly larvae). My beardie eats about 50 a day for breakfast (he's still young enough for a bug-heavy diet), and would possibly eat more if I gave him more. He gets those and salad in his tank in the morning, and I take out the worm dish and salad, and give him a variety of other insects and worms in the afternoon in a separate feeding tank. That way no biting bugs like crickets in his tank. The bsfl are okay in the tank, because if they do escape the dish and later turn into black soldier flies, they're harmless, and still good for him to eat when he can catch them. :0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom