Long time sleeping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve got a adult bearded dragon who has been sleeping for a long time. She started in the summer which I thought was odd enough already but from what I’ve heard they can brumate anytime, so I wasn’t to concerned. She slept all the way into winter which is what it is still now in Australia. Anyway I leave all the lights on, reptisun T8 10. Basking is 40-45 (I don’t have a thermostat) But the cool side stays the same temp of around 25-28 degrees Celsius and warm side 33-35. I don’t use a thermostat since they have a timer for the uvb but not for the basking light and I wouldn’t always be home in time to turn it off,I use a normal timer that turns both off and on. I get her out of her slumber sometimes and she basks and she’s alert she sometimes will even run about. She’s recently; the times I’ve gotten her up (1-3 times a week) will eat a few woodies. She will chase them a bit and everything. But she’s doesnt stay up long until she goes back to sleep. So I’m hoping since she went into brumation in the summer and now it’s gotten cold she’s like oh ok it’s cold, gonna keep on sleeping. Once she goes to the toilet I’ll get it tested for parasites but until then, any idea?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How are you getting temps if you dont have a thermometer-- the best way to get temps is a Infrared heat gun - can be purchased at Home Depot Lowes or Walmart - they are around $10-- if shes eating and basking she wont digest her food- where is the UVB ? is it inside the tank or on top of screen?
Karrie

Arniebeardie94

Original Poster
I’ve got thermometers.. I don’t have a thermostat. It’s inside her tank about 13 inches away from her basking spot. I’m sorry I don’t understand, you said that “if she’s eating and basking she won’t digest her food” did you mean if she’s eating and *not* basking she won’t digest her food? She basks if I wake her up and move her there so she can warm up and she will eat a little, about 5-10 woodies no veggies atm and bask for a bit longer, maybe play a bit then go back to bed. She doesn’t get up herself I get her up. She only used to brumate for about 2 months now it’s almost been 6 months. She started in the summer then all through Autumn (fall) now winter. I live in Australia.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am sorry not basking--- she wont digest her food and 15 minutes is not long enough-- getting a accurate basking temp is crucial - thermometers really arent accurate and at times can be way off - even a digital probe is better than stick ons if that is what you are using -- the UVB what kind is it? and where do you have it --- lighting plays a huge role in their over all behavior and health---
Karrie

Arniebeardie94

Original Poster
Yes I know they need to bask to digest food, she doesn’t bask for long but shes not eating a lot anyway. I do use digital thermometers with a probe. And the uvb is a -Zoomed reptisun T5 tube.....it’s inside the vivarium about 13 inches from the basking spot. I’m sorry do you have any theories on why she’s sleeping so much? I’ll get and infra red heat gun but for the time I think her temps are fine.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok bulb is good+- IAM sorry must of misread-- how long is she basking for? She should be basking a couple hours / day for digestion -- has she ever laid eggs? Do you think she might have eggs?
Karrie

Arniebeardie94

Original Poster
She basks for about 30 - 60 minutes but she doesn’t eat a lot and not everyday either. She’s just been brumating. No she hasn’t laid eggs yet, she’s not showing any signs of laying eggs.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so no digging? I guess I would get a fecal as soon as you can --start there-- have you noticed her weight being she's not eating alot has she lost weight?
Karrie

Arniebeardie94

Original Poster
Nah no digging, also checked if I can feel eggs in her belly (a vet showed me how). By looking at her she might of lost a little bit but not much.
90388-7518168385.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Well that's good-- I guess I would get her in for a check up then --
Karrie

Arniebeardie94

Original Poster
Seems like I’ll have to. Hopefully she’s just being a lazy bitch lol I also checked her mouth for anemia signs but it seems fine. Maybe a bit paler than normal due to not eating as much but still pink. Also been giving her water with vitamin in it when she doesn’t eat. No signs of respitory infection that I can notice. She seems genuinely healthy besides the sleeping. She might have parasites but I got to wait until she goes to the toilet.

I had exactly the same problem as you do and I have the same light, and I’m happy to say it’s quite an easy solution. All you have to do is find a way to station your T8 light inside of the enclosure on the top. You can do this using zip ties, gorilla glue, and rope. Just find a way to easily strap the light to the top of the enclosure, and your bearded will be our way more!

Arniebeardie94

Original Poster
Thanks :) but it’s already inside the vivarium, I’ve got a melamine viv so I just mounted a light fixture inside with screws. It’s about 13 inches from her basking spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom