My beardie gets really scared when I try to pick him up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meliodus is around 5 months old and lives a well-fed, happy life. He (I am pretty sure it is a he, at least) is usually more than happy to explore my house with me, until today. I tried to introduce him to my dog, and he didn't take kindly to it. No animal was hurt (no biting or clawing, only sniffing from my dog) but now whenever I try to put my hand anywhere near his terrarium, he puffs up his beard and opens his mouth. No black beard though, so that's a possible good sign. Sometimes he even leaps at my hand. Any ideas about how I can regain his trust/calm him down? Thank you!
Also, I apologize if there is already a thread about this. I didn't see it.

Edit: I just remembered, I had my hand out just in case my dog tried to do anything stupid, so he probably associates my hands with the dog, so that's fun. Am I just done for or what?

Moon4wolfgirl

Hatchling Member
The dog must of really scared him. Have you tried just sliding your hand under him/her?
If you grab them above they can think your a predator. I calm my beardie with just hold him and pet him. Hope this helps.

HunterofMonsters

Original Poster
I would, but I am terrified he is going to bite me. Whenever he sees that I am not scared of him (ie. I keep trying to touch him) he goes into a mad dash around his box. I can pick him up then, easy. He just jumps back into his box as soon as he can. I'll try to just pick him up like you suggested, and I will get back with the results.

HunterofMonsters

Original Poster
I managed to pick him up, but he bit me in the process. I jumped because I wasn't expecting it. When I eventually got him, he leaped right back into his box, still flaring up and everything.

HunterofMonsters

Original Poster
I tried to feed him, but he wouldn't take it. I put crickets in for him today, and he only ate a few, and only when I wasn't in the room. I'll try the shirt thing when I go to bed today.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Time heals all :)

I agree the dog most likely spooked him but he should get over it in a couple days.

-Brandon

HunterofMonsters

Original Poster
Progress! While he was sleepy, I managed to pet him a bit before leaving him alone. He didn't flare up or anything. My mood has exponentially increased :lol:

Edit: I tried to pet him again, but he immediately flared up, mouth agape and everything.

HunterofMonsters

Original Poster
Through effort and patience, he is letting me pick him up more, and he doesn't seem as scared as he has been. Thank you all for the suggestions, they all helped. Thank you for helping me get my best friend back!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
OK

1) he's told you in no uncertain terms he is terrified of the dog , so no more doggy - beardie interaction at least for another 6 months , he might come around & be more ready when he's a lot bigger and more laid back and sure of himself (and you and his surroundings).

Wash your hands if you've had anything do with dog and I suggest interact with dragon first each day, then the dog , else the dragon will smell dog on you and will react to you the same way it reacted to the dog.

2) if you do the above , he is likely to be cool with interaction with you , just make sure you don't force yourself on him if he's not ready or willing (too scared). You need to allow him learn to trust you again.

3) if beardie is out for run about , the dog must not be present (or in sight) as he knows there is a big predator present and will be very stressed by this.

4) time and patience.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
kingofnobbys":24ukq9p9 said:
OK

1) he's told you in no uncertain terms he is terrified of the dog , so no more doggy - beardie interaction at least for another 6 months , he might come around & be more ready when he's a lot bigger and more laid back and sure of himself (and you and his surroundings).

Wash your hands if you've had anything do with dog and I suggest interact with dragon first each day, then the dog , else the dragon will smell dog on you and will react to you the same way it reacted to the dog.

2) if you do the above , he is likely to be cool with interaction with you , just make sure you don't force yourself on him if he's not ready or willing (too scared). You need to allow him learn to trust you again.

3) if beardie is out for run about , the dog must not be present (or in sight) as he knows there is a big predator present and will be very stressed by this.

4) time and patience.

I second this, with the possible exception of trying again to have the two pets interact. People seem to want their animals to be BFFs, but when the animals are a predator/prey mix, there's more risk than benefit, and it's just not necessary.
Thanks to kingofnobbys, though for addressing the actual issue, and for doing it gently. :0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom