Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon4wolfgirl

Hatchling Member
I know this isn't a tortoise forum but I really need help. My dog got a hold of my tortoise and he has teeth marks in shell and some shell is peeling off. Any ideas on how to treat the wounds so it doesn't get infected. I can't take him to the vet because I think it closed but please just tell me stuff on how to sooth his pain and treat the wounds.(there wasn't any blood that I know of) :cry:

Martadragon017

Hatchling Member
I'm sorry, but I don't know very much about tortoises, but I would probably recommend bringing him/her to the vet if you haven't done that already. I've also heard of people using manuka honey, but again I don't have very much knowledge regarding tortoises. I also found this website: https://www.vettimes.co.uk/app/uploads/wp-post-to-pdf-enhanced-cache/1/what-to-do-if-presented-with-tortoises-suffering-shell-injury.pdf
It seems to mostly be info for vets, but you might find something useful there. It also mentions manuka honey though so I would probably try that. I also found this tortoise forum so you might be able to get more help from there: https://www.tortoiseforum.org/
I hope this helps! :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh dear, are you going to be able to get him to a vet to have more care?
As suggested, use some diluted betadine to keep the wound cleaned up. You can also try
getting some manuka honey or raw, unpasteurized honey to use while covering the area with
gauze also.
How is he doing?

Tracie

Moon4wolfgirl

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He's doing better, walking around. I'll try to get some raw honey, and take him to the vet if it starts to swell up. I bandaged his wounds to. Some parts the parts of shell was gone :cry: . But he's acting like it doesn't hurt him.I want to take him to the vet but my dad said if it starts swelling up well take him. Thanks for replying
full

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
If you wait until it starts to swell, that means infection has already set in and, could be to late to treat it. Poor thing!

Moon4wolfgirl

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok. I found a exotic vet care in going to take him to if the prices are ok. I'll see if I can take him soon.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good to hear, please let us know how it goes. Some vets are able to repair shell damage once the wounds are cared for. Hopefully they'll get him all patched up.

Moon4wolfgirl

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hi, I thought it would be good to do a little update on yoda (the tortoise)
his wounds are about healed and so much more alert, I do think it scard him because you have to approach him slowly or he will pee, but overall he is very well and has grown a lot more
full

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yoda is looking good! How is he feeling now?
Poor guy, it looks like he is going to be just fine though. :D
Thanks for the update on him.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom