Little ADV pos Falkor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

As you know, my little fellow Falkor is ADV positive. You have been super helpful and supportive for this first time beardie mon facing this challenge. He’s still eating and seems pretty happy (until he misses a cricket), but I’m noticing something new now when he eats (or tries to). When he manages to catch a cricket, it seems it’s taking a lot more effort for him to chew, and sometimes the cricket ends up hanging out of his mouth half chewed. It’s almost like he just doesn’t have the jaw strength or coordination for eating. It doesn’t happen all the time, but sometimes the cricket will also get stuck between his teeth and his “cheek” and I have to use a paper towel to gently remove it. Is this another thing to chalk up to ADV or is something else at play?

He’s hovering at around 39-40 grams and is almost a year old (it’s been a journey). Gets a bath every other day and hand fed water droplets on his nose every day multiple times a day.

He has a 20 gallon tank, 50w zoomed heat lamp and a t5 ho uvb that stretches diagonally across his tank. His cool side is reading at 80, his hot at 95-110 depending on where I’m reading using an ir thermometer.

Any ideas? I know I’m on borrowed time with him, but I just want to make sure he’s as comfortable and happy as I can possibly make him.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is little Falkor doing?
Just for review, can you run over your tank setup with us, such as the type/brand of UVB lighting,
supplementation schedule, foods given, temperatures in the tank so we can see it all. Do you
have any pictures of him?
Adeno takes on many forms, & can cause a lot of problems from simple parasite outbreaks, to
neurological problems, etc.
Have you ever done any type of treatments to help clear out the virus?

I would love to see a picture of him.

Tracie

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
Hello,

His heat bulb is zoomed and the uvb is reptisun. He eats crickets twice a day (if he’s hungry enough for the second round) always dusted with calcium. Vitamin dusting on fridays and I think it’s reptivit? He gets salad every day (bell pepper or butternut squash and at the moment, kale) I actually was just feeding him and discovered he has a small sore of some kind in his mouth on his right side. Guess I’m calling the vet, though I’m not sure what they’ll be able to do since he’s still so small, but maybe antibiotics?

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Awww...Falkor sure is a cute little thing! I don't know much of anything about ADV, but I hope the little one can live the best life you can give him! I was wondering, along with AHBD's advice on the oral guard, if maybe syringe feeding would be good for him until the sore heals up? Maybe the OxBow Carnivore Care? Was just thinking of how to get food into the little guy without him being uncomfortable.

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
Well, he has a vet appointment on Monday (earliest I could get). I’ll ask about the gel!!! Thanks for that!!! He used to get syringe fed when he wasn’t eating much fighting the virus. And ADV is a scary thing to watch him go through. He has very little to no feeling in his back legs and feet due to the neurological effects of the virus. His front legs have a little more feeling, but he can’t really use his legs at all. He gets around by flailing his limbs and pulling himself along.

He’s a sweet little guy. He's never bearded or hissed. Never displayed any threat behaviors. He loves being held and snuggled (by me at least). I’ve tried liquid serrapeptase and milk thistle but he hates both, even when mixed with applesauce (which he likes). He’s going to the bathroom normally and just went through shedding his tail and legs. I’m hoping the vet will be able to help him. I also need more of his supplement anyway (what I would syringe feed him). I can’t remember what it’s called, but I have a feeling I’ll be coming home with that and antibiotics (hopefully).

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor Falkor, I hope his mouth gets better. I'm glad you have a vet appointment for monday
then. Let us know how that goes for you two.
At least he has a good caring mommy to help him out! He looks good in the picture, but it's
too bad he isn't able to use his back legs any.
Wow he doesn't like any of the supplements then, that can be very frustrating!
Do you give the critical care often?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
By critical care do you mean the supplement? If yes, I used it if he wasn’t eating crickets. He averages around 8 at each feeding so if it drops below that for a day or 2, he gets his supplement. He only had 1 eating issue this morning so that’s good. I’ll let you know how the vet visit goes. I feel bad for him but I know he’s a fighter, and as long as he wants to fight, I will too!

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
Vet visit went well. Falkor was fine until they opened his mouth (he did NOT like that), but I did in fact go home with maxi guard. Before I could even ask about it, the vet told me. He said to try this for 2 weeks and if it doesn’t get better, come back for antibiotics. But the vet said aside from the mouth sores (he has more than one apparently), and his lack of mobility, Falkor looks good for a dragon with ADV. He’s obviously small for his age, but since he’s eating and going to the bathroom normally, it’s a good sign that he’s otherwise healthy!

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
Thank you!!! He’ll need the gel every day for 2 weeks though. Wish me luck getting him to open his mouth lol. The vet recommended a guitar pick. Any other ideas?

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Glad there's some good news! Let's go Falkor!!!

As far as opening the mouth, I'd gently pinch down on the sides of her mouth and slowly get Tampico to open her mouth that way, when I had to syringe feed her. It took a couple of tries, but the pinching worked and still works for her if needed. Good luck!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is little Falkor doing today?
It's hard getting their mouths open for sure! LOL
A guitar pic would work, a swab or you can fold a playing card or thin piece of cardboard in
half then cut a hole in the center so you can put a syringe through there to get food or fluids
into him.
Hopefully the Maxi guard helps out for his mouth sore, it's a pretty good product.

Tracie

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
Well, today is day 2 of the medicine/gel stuff and Falkor is so angry he didn’t want to eat. I gave him his bath and he was just sulking the entire time. When it comes to his second meal time maybe he’ll forgive me a little and eat lol. He’s doing ok though... he hasn’t gone to the bathroom yet so that could also be why he doesn’t want to eat but he normally “smiles” when I pick him up and he was frowning the entire time this morning ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom