Advise on Re-homing ,...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laylac123

We have had our bearded dragon only one month and I quickly realized this was not the part for us is certainly not the pet for a 10-year-old daughter
We wanted this dragon and plant for him for so long he’s a rat hyper male from California custom dragons and is Beautiful,. He has Burt certificate and parents are from Thailand ...he was over $200 he also has a custom tank and everything you could possibly want for A bearded dragon .
He is an absolute sweetheart and is only five months old
He has been fed a diet of fresh vegetables soaked every other day and had impeccable care
I quickly saw that it was going to end up being me caring for this Pat I don’t want this drawing and I thought it was going to be my daughters responsibility he’s just sitting in the tank all day she’s complaining to feed him and to clean his P and Pooh I need to rehome him ,...but I don’t want to just bring him to a pet shop I’m going to talk to the reptile lovers around the pet shop that we go to and see if there’s anyone they know that’s good with reptiles that will buy him .
I know I’ll never get the money back I spent which is over $1000 now any advice is appreciated were in Louisiana

I feel sad and defeated but at this point I want him to get the best possible home no matter what that means ....

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
That's a shame. If he's in good health and nobody is able to take him on this forum, a pet store might agree to take him. I would make sure you check the place out in person first to make sure they are taking care of the dragons they have before mentioning you have one you'd like to re-home. There are also reptile rescues and Craigslist.

Some rescues are likely to be very knowledgeable, but, again, an in-person visit is recommended because there are some people who "rescue" animals, only to leave them in horrible conditions because they're hoarders or have a big heart but are in way over their heads. Where I live, I was going to adopt a dragon, and the rescue put me on a list and then grilled me on my knowledge of beardie husbandry, which was good. They made me submit pictures of the habitat I was going to put him in, and made sure I had a reptile vet location nearby. The dragon they had ended up getting adopted to someone ahead of me in the queue, so I got one off of Craigslist. Again, the person grilled me, and that's what I recommend you do if you are serious about providing the little guy a good re-homing situation.

Make sure any interested parties follow the lighting, heating, and dietary advice you can find on this site, and are really in a position to care for him, including vet visits, which can be expensive. You are correct that you will not be able to recoup costs, but the important thing now is making sure that the little one is well taken care of now, and by their next owner. As with any pet, it is our sole responsibility to do right by them once we assume responsibility for their well-being.

Laylac123

Original Poster
Thank you so much and yes he deserves the beat possible home and is a sweet little innocent animal and thats why I am re-homing him he deserves better . Dear God I would love ? someone on here to take him and I will NOT give him up to just anyone ,... no way
Like I said he comes with everything down to laser pointers custom tank with ceramic tile from Carolina Custom Dragons ,. A scale , everything
We are in Louisiana mabe someone close enough will be interested again thank you and I will check out Craigs list rescue .

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear you need to find a new home for him. I agree that it's best to make sure he goes to a stable home so he doesn't wind up being neglected or passed along throughout his life. Hopefully someone on here is able to give him a good home. I don't know of any rescues in Louisiana unfortunately, but it's worth looking into. The closest one I know of is in Texas and she is very good http://www.texasreptilerescue.com You might want to reach out to see if she knows anyone in your area who may be able to help. The rescues tend to form a network of sorts across the country.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Or you can always google reptile rescue in your area-- and go from there --
Karrie

Laylac123

Original Poster
I’d say my biggest concerns right now are that he’s in his tank 24 hours a day she comes home from school has homework has activities and no one spending any time with him ,...
also when he Poohs on his sunning rock she wiped it with a wet wipe then the rest is stuck on the rock shift to pick up the rock bring in the bathroom scrub it under the sink with the brush it’s just way more than I thought when we installed the ceramic tile that was my reasoning they’re easy cleanup but he’s not pooping on that he’s pooping on his rock
But it’s mainly the lack of attention it dries me crazy knowing he’s in there And not being shown any attention

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is the rock removable-- Hiccup was always pooping on his basking rock and I would remove it take it to the sink wash it off and then clean w/ a spray bottle of vinegar / water 50/50 mixture w/ paper towel and put it back in tank --- as far as time spent w/ him is he in a room by himself? Can you move him to a room where there is activity going on all the time-- just being around activity wont make him feel so alone and you can always talk to him etc..............
Karrie

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
They are generally solitary, but definitely need some kind of stimulation. While you are in transition, I would suggest you take him out at least once a day, even if it is just to set him on the couch while you watch TV or put him near a window so he can look out. My wife & I have 2 and having them out hanging on our chest/shoulder as we go about the daily do at the house is one of our favorite things. You might even find yourself growing attached to the little one to the point where you decide he's already in his forever home. Beardies are wonderful pets; curious, intelligent, funny- even snuggly(!), and while you may already have made up your mind to re-home, I'd say treat him like he's staying in the meantime & handle him at least once a day so he will be used to people and stimulated. At the very least, human contact will get him where he needs to be for potential new owners in terms of socialization.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Here is our guy Otto in one of two 'snuggle modes'. The other is with me laying on the couch & he will do his little snuggle motion and burrow under my chin, sometimes walking the entire length of the couch to climb up on my chest when he's feeling sleepy. When I'm ready to get up, I take him back to his viv., and most times he will not even wake up. I love that he trusts me enough to do that.

100140-2918603034.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Laylac123":ibf3qdkb said:
I’d say my biggest concerns right now are that he’s in his tank 24 hours a day she comes home from school has homework has activities and no one spending any time with him ,...
also when he Poohs on his sunning rock she wiped it with a wet wipe then the rest is stuck on the rock shift to pick up the rock bring in the bathroom scrub it under the sink with the brush it’s just way more than I thought when we installed the ceramic tile that was my reasoning they’re easy cleanup but he’s not pooping on that he’s pooping on his rock
But it’s mainly the lack of attention it dries me crazy knowing he’s in there And not being shown any attention

I suggest you contact the breeder who sold you this juvenile dragon and ask if they are prepared to take it back.

I don't think any reptile rescuer group is going to pay you anything when they take the dragon off you hands for rehoming, you essentially surrender the reptile , they then care for it and make sure it's healthy and find a new home for it.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Laylac123":3scfydho said:
We have had our bearded dragon only one month and I quickly realized this was not the part for us is certainly not the pet for a 10-year-old daughter
<<< she is way too young to have a demanding pet like a bearded dragon or to be expected to shoulder the responsibility of being a good dragon keeper.
<<< I'm afraid it was inevitable with child this age that mom and or dad or an elder sibling would have to take over and care for this juvenile dragon.

We wanted this dragon and plant for him for so long he’s a rat hyper male from California custom dragons and is Beautiful,. He has Burt certificate and parents are from Thailand ...he was over $200 he also has a custom tank and everything you could possibly want for A bearded dragon .
He is an absolute sweetheart and is only five months old

<<< he is 5 months old , so a minimum of two meals of quality live insects are necessary for such a young juvenile.
Vegetables only are totally inadequate for him at his stage of development.

He has been fed a diet of fresh vegetables soaked every other day and had impeccable care
I quickly saw that it was going to end up being me caring for this Pat I don’t want this drawing and I thought it was going to be my daughters responsibility he’s just sitting in the tank all day she’s complaining to feed him and to clean his P and Pooh I need to rehome him ,...but I don’t want to just bring him to a pet shop I’m going to talk to the reptile lovers around the pet shop that we go to and see if there’s anyone they know that’s good with reptiles that will buy him .
I know I’ll never get the money back I spent which is over $1000 now any advice is appreciated were in Louisiana

I feel sad and defeated but at this point I want him to get the best possible home no matter what that means ....

Seems to me you have been given very poor advise on a hatchling/juvenile bearded dragon's dietary requirements , feeding schedule , and likely sold a lot of inappropriate stuff by the pet shop.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Aaradimian":37ve3oza said:
They are generally solitary, but definitely need some kind of stimulation. While you are in transition, I would suggest you take him out at least once a day, even if it is just to set him on the couch while you watch TV or put him near a window so he can look out. My wife & I have 2 and having them out hanging on our chest/shoulder as we go about the daily do at the house is one of our favorite things. You might even find yourself growing attached to the little one to the point where you decide he's already in his forever home. Beardies are wonderful pets; curious, intelligent, funny- even snuggly(!), and while you may already have made up your mind to re-home, I'd say treat him like he's staying in the meantime & handle him at least once a day so he will be used to people and stimulated. At the very least, human contact will get him where he needs to be for potential new owners in terms of socialization.

If the juvenile dragon is relaxed about being handled , yep , I do what I regard as bonding ritual with my young reptiles ( in my case skinks and bearded dragons ) that involves :
taking the young lizard out of it's rearing tub and place it on my tummy / chest and handfeed it some BSFL , or crickets , or silkworms , then we spend maybe 15 minutes having quality time (involving my gently petting it and letting it wonder about on me or on the coffee table or on the lounge next to me), then I return it to it's rearing tub to allow it to bask.
If the juvenile dragon is not keen on being picked up I leave it in it's rearing tub and give it some of insects by hand (using my fingers) and talk quietly to it and pet it with each insect I give it. I slowly extend the period of petting and every day I see if it's willing to let me pick it up, if the dragon backs off , I let it be , and continue the feeding session dropping a couple of crickets into the tub for it catch and eat , they very soon learn to watch me and know when the insects are coming.

Regarding removing poos , if I see the lizard poo , I remove it immediately (using piece of paper toweling), if I don't see the lizard poo and discover a poo or two , I wait for it to dry and remove it , if it's stuck to piece of the lizards furniture, really how much drama is it remove the soiled item and take it outside and give a blast with the garden hose or use a damp rag , then give a spray with F10 diluted 1:250 in water and let it air dry ==> no more germs !!!.

It's no big deal, it not like dealing with cat poos or dog poos. Only takes a few minutes to clean a piece of soiled reptile furniture , and 20 minutes for dilute F10 to sterilize the surface and dry.

I line my rearing tubs with paper toweling, makes very easy clean up, the soiled sheets are simply removed and binned.

Laylac123

Original Poster
Oh no must've come out wrong but he gets fresh crickets, worms, etc.. at night so he will eat his greens during the day.
The poop cleaning I try to catch in the am before I leave for work because I don't want him with that all day ,...yuk
Yep most pet shops tell you that these are a perfect pet for children but that's just not true or better yet its more like the pet gets neglected,..
I love him and he is adorable just that most of his care will be on me ,..
We also have cats and so that is another facter in me putting his tank in my Daughters room but I've
decided that I am going to move his tank into a more centrally located area in our house and the cat will just probably sleep on top of the tank,.. oh well I'm suer it won't be the first.
We've also agreed to take him out every possible chance and just let him hang out on our shoulder.
Looks like (I) have a bearded dragon maybe he was meant to be mine from the beginning yay to being a parent :|

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Laylac123":3odjzv4k said:
Oh no must've come out wrong but he gets fresh crickets, worms, etc.. at night so he will eat his greens during the day.

<<< best to give insects like BSFL in an escape proof dish if you simply want to leave insects for the little dragon to eat during the day and as it's first daily insect meal, or spend 15min to give it it's first cricket meal of the day , a couple of crickets at a time .
<<< the another meal insects given when you get home , OK to leave the salad for the little dragon to graze on after it's first insect meal each day.

The dragon needs to have at least 4 hours to bask and be warm after it's eaten it's salad (takes a lot of time and energy that must be provided by the basking globe , vegetables are much more difficult for a cold blooded animal to digest than insects are) .

The dragon needs at least 2 hours after it's last live insect meal to digest the insects and bask.

So it's important to schedule the feedings properly to ensure the dragon gets full benefit from the food it consumes else you'll have dragon who fails to thrive and fails to grow , and who becomes malnourished and sick.

My schedules .
Lights on a domestic table lamp timer , set to turn on 5:30am in summer or 6:30am in winter, off 10pm in summer or 9pm in winter.

for hatchlings under 3 months old ( 3 meals of high quality LIVE insects per day , salad optional )
am feed = about 9am <== crickets* & or BSFL & quality time if the dragon is tame enough (5 min to 10min on me ==> bonding)
2nd feed <== BSFL and or silkworms, 2pm , salad given with this
3rd feed <== crickets* and or BSFL , 6pm (5 min to 10min on me ==> bonding)

for juveniles to 12 months old ( 2 meals of high quality LIVE insects per day + salad)
am feed <== BSFL or crickets* & or silkworms , about 9am , salad given after BSFL crickets & or silkworms ration eaten
evening feed about 6pm <== BSFL & or crickets* & quality time if the dragon is tame enough (30 min to 1 hr on me) .

Subadults to 2 years old ( 1 or 2 feeds of high quality LIVE insects per pay depending on where they are in their growth curve + salad )

For adults ( 1 small meal of high quality LIVE insects per day (in am) + salad . See this for guidance on setting up the feeding schedule and diet for an ADULT bearded dragon : viewtopic.php?f=18&t=236074

For a pet lizard , a regular routine is extremely important , I like to make feeding times a bit of a ritual for my scaley 4 legged children. If I deviate I will be given "the stare" and they will let me know by standing up and scratching at the corner.

I typically only let my dragons free range in a controlled in house space after they are too big to slip under door or the fridge. So about 200g maybe.

* I give the crickets 2 or 3 at a time and continue like this until the little dragon looses interest , some recommend allow only 10 to 15 minutes feeding on insects like crickets).

The poop cleaning I try to catch in the am before I leave for work because I don't want him with that all day ,...yuk
<<< typically they will go in the same spot if they cant get out of their tank , some people encourage a toileting routine in shallow luke water in the bathtub or a basin or tub of some kind so the dragon dumps it's load.

Yep most pet shops tell you that these are a perfect pet for children but that's just not true or better yet its more like the pet gets neglected,..
I love him and he is adorable just that most of his care will be on me ,..
We also have cats and so that is another facter in me putting his tank in my Daughters room but I've
decided that I am going to move his tank into a more centrally located area in our house and the cat will just probably sleep on top of the tank,.. oh well I'm suer it won't be the first.
We've also agreed to take him out every possible chance and just let him hang out on our shoulder.
<<< only allow shoulder perching while you are sitting (on the carpet, on the lounge, on the bed, NEVER walk around with a dragon on your shoulder, they can be very seriously injured if they fall, slip off, or leap off and land on a very hard unforgiving surface from the height even a child's shoulders.

I don't allow / discourage my skinks and dragons from climbing up to my shoulders , even the ones who come back down when I say "down" or call them by their name - my Lucky and Wriggles and Rex and Peppa , and George all do or did this.
My fear unless the lizard is obedient (and knows some commands) is the lizard will get squished by me simply by moving to see where they have gone (especially when little and fragile and very light)..

Looks like (I) have a bearded dragon maybe he was meant to be mine from the beginning yay to being a parent :|

If it's mesh lid on the tank, allowing the cat to get ontop is a VERY BAD IDEA , even wire mesh is no deterrent or obstacle to a cat determined to get the lizard inside the tank, cats are perfectly capable ripping a hole even in wire mesh and then hooking and dragging the lizard out with their claws.
The tank needs to be made totally cat proof or the moved to a room the cat is never allowed access to. Cat proofing a tank :
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=240221&p=1840683#p1840683

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom