Did I do something wrong: bearded dragon got constipated

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmcgillbsa

Hi so my bearded dragon is about 5 months old 10” long and for the most part is very active, attentive, and eats super well. I feed him 30 crickets a day a maybe some wax worms here or there. I am very careful about the size of this crickets and also give him water every day. I usually feed him at 9pm and turn of his light at midnight when I go to bed. I’m a college student so my schedule is a little unconventional. He usually goes to the bath room every 1 to 2 maybe 3 days at the latest. But this week he didn’t go until day 4 (yet still hungry and eating like a champ) when I gave him a warm bath thinking he might be constipated. He went in about 5 mins of being in the bath on Monday and hasn’t gone since it is now Wednesday. Just wondering what I did wrong to cause him to get constipated. The only thing is that sometime when I’m had feeding him I’ll put a little bunch of crickets in my hand and he’ll usually eat 1 at a time but some times eats 2 at a time. Also some of the wax worms are pretty big maybe that could be it. Just wondering don’t want to be doing something wrong.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You havent -- sometimes they dont go for long periods of time -- he is not constipated and your feeding him good-- dont fret--going every 4 days or so is not a big deal --
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What are the temperatures in your tank and how are you measuring?
If the proper temps aren't available, digestion will take longer.

-Brandon

pmcgillbsa

Original Poster
110-100 basking area, 95 hot side, 80-90 cool side. Using Zoomed thermometer like the one you put on the side of the tank wall.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Do you have a infrared heat gun? You need one of those to get actual basking temp-- the stick ONS are inaccurate and most times way off-- a digital probe would be good to put in cool side of tank and infrared for hot side-- you can get the IR from Walmart home Depot or Lowe's for around $10 or so
Karrie

pmcgillbsa

Original Poster
I do not and I’ll look into buying one. I don’t think it’s his tank parameters because this started last week and his temp has been the same for the 4 months I’ve had him. Thank you for your suggestion tho.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I do recommend getting either a digital with probe or a temp gun like suggested. There is a sticky in the enclosures section of the forum with a thread I wrote testing how inaccurate the dial stick on thermometers are. They are wildly inaccurate and do not give you the ability to measure your most important temp, your basking surface.
Luckily both options can be had for very cheap now a days. It's a very worthwhile 10 bucks spent.

My philosophy is, if you hear hoofsteps outside your window at night, dont go looking for zebras.
It makes sense to first check off the easy common stuff, before digging deeper into other less common issues.
And it only makes sense that if hes having trouble digesting, that the first thing to look at is if his temps are proper, no matter how long hes been under his current conditions.

Temperature has the biggest effect on a dragons health. More so than anything. It's not something you want to leave up to chance. You've got to know it!: )

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not really whatever you like and it does not haft to be an expensive one---
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Definitely the temperatures are probably going to be off by a little bit since you are using the
stick on type of thermometer.
There are several brands of laser temp guns & they are mostly the same in performance.
How is he doing this afternoon?
The few waxworms definitely wont cause impaction in him though since they are soft bodied.
They can go quite awhile in between going to the bathroom too.
Which UVB light are you using currently, what type/brand is it?

Tracie

smcgille

Im using a Exo Terra Solar-Glo High Intensity Self-Ballasted Uv/Heat Mercury Vapor Lamp, 160-Watt. I know its not a tube one which I've read are recommended, but I've also read and have been told that the buld I'm is 100% safe and provides proper UVB lighting and heat and is recommedned right below, and sometimes above of the tube lighting, on product ranking sites.

smcgille

Still as active as normal, eating well as always, attentive when I come over the tank he looks up and observes me. He likes to lie on his favorite rock or on the ground underneith his basking wood and he takes little naps sometimes but honestly nothing out of the ordinary except for not going to the restroom. Also hes on paper towel so I know its not due to substrate.

SPandS

Juvie Member
Did I read that right, that you feed him once at day? If so, try splitting that up and feed him at least twice a day (3 times if you can) and see if that changes anything. Even though 3-4 days isn't a big deal.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post pics of the tank + where your mvb light is ? A 160 should def. be enough to heat the tank unless it's like a 120 gallon or something. BTW, try some baby good squash, sweet potato, prunes and a few drops of raw honey. Those are all natural laxatives. You can also let him run in a warm safe room, that can stimulate a b.m. If that doesn't work then give him a warm 5 minute bath but not too close to bedtime because it takes them a while to dry completely and you don't wan him to be damp + chilled after lights out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom