Is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ragnar keeps staring at his lights. He seems fascinated with them today. To the point that he will look up so far back that he falls off his basking spot..three times this morning.

104131-1004633108.jpg

104131-9862830522.jpg

So fascinated, in fact, that he ignored his crickets during his morning feed time.

His basking spot is 8 inches from the reptisun 10.0 t8 bulb. His temps are 104.7 at basking, 93 on warm side, and 75 on cool side.

Has anyone else's beardie done this? Is this normal?

Jess

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would say no and I am wondering if this is "star gazing" --- some one else is going to haft to weigh in on this but it could be possibly adenovirus--- but I am no vet and not a expert--- please have some one else give their opinion--- AHBD or Tracie Drache613
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Staring at the light isnt a worry perse, but if hes arching so far back that hes flipping himself over, this is worrisome behaviour unfortunately.
If it is adv there isnt anything you can do really. Some dragons have it. Some dragons have it and show no signs at all or until later in life. And sometimes the babies are affected by it.

The best you can do is to offer proper care and see how things go. Your husbandry is fine so you are doing all you can already. Just make sure that you are offering a very healthy diet.
Tracie does know quite a bit about it. Much more than I do. So I would wait until you hear from her before coming to any solid conclusions. But, stargazing is one of the classic symptoms.

We know you just got this dragon so hopefully it's just a slight neurological issue that will be fixed with time and proper husbandry.

Good luck.

-Brandon

Jessluvsdragons

Original Poster
He doesn't sit like that all the time. Like right now he's just doing normal basking. With this virus, do they do it all the time? Or occasionally?

Jess

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Idk-- I would Google adenovirus and see what kind of info you can get
Karrie

Jessluvsdragons

Original Poster
Just did. Google is saying that they are lethargic, don't eat, and sleep alot. I've had trouble with his appetite fluctuating, but he's been alert and active. And that they don't grow well..i dunno what to compare that to. I've never had a baby before. And that the stargazing happens when it affects their Neuro system. And that most babies don't make it to three months. If he dies in going to be devastated. He's just now has two day if no stress marks, like he's finally settled in. ???

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It is an occasional behavior as far as I'm aware.
You really don't know for sure unless you get your baby tested.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I know and I feel for you-- please get some advice from Tracie drache613-- she hopefully will be on this evening-- she is our vet moderator and can give you more advice as what to do! We don't want to jump to conclusions :)
Karrie

Jessluvsdragons

Original Poster
Thanks to you both. I'll sit tight and see what she has to say.

It's not like I'm gonna take him back to the store if he's sick. One I'm too attached, and two I'd be just as likely to get another sick one due as they are all caged together and probably don't clean like they should.

Edited to add: and they actually have the nerve to give you a paper saying that the reptiles are "vet certified." SMH

Jess

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He came from? Petco Petsmart? If it turns out he does have adenovirus the petstore you got him from needs to be notified -- not that it probably wont do any good but w/ good conscientious you have done what you can do -- the petstore needs to let that breeder know whom ever they are getting those dragons from --- but who knows it they will even do that --
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jess,

I PM'd you this evening & included my adeno website if you wanted to get your little one
tested.
They can stare up towards the lights in that manner, but stargazing constantly & arching
their backs is usually a neurological sign of adeno, or sometimes something else like an
infection possibly.
Which UVB light are you using?

Tracie

Jessluvsdragons

Original Poster
Drache613":1hyt6bzc said:
Hello Jess,

I PM'd you this evening & included my adeno website if you wanted to get your little one
tested.
They can stare up towards the lights in that manner, but stargazing constantly & arching
their backs is usually a neurological sign of adeno, or sometimes something else like an
infection possibly.
Which UVB light are you using?

Tracie

Hey Tracie,

Thanks for the pm and response. I'll look into that shortly. I'm using the 24in Reptisun 10.0 T8 bulb eight inches from his basking spot. He's in a small tank until I pick up his 40 gal in a couple of hours. It's sitting on top of the tank but not covered by mesh or plastic. For the basking bulb, I have a regular household bulb since anything else made his tank way too hot. I only noticed one episode of light staring but he didnt arch his back like two days ago. And he didn't fall to my knowledge. But i wss in and out all day yesterday.

On a positive note, he scarfed down 12 crickets at his evening feed. I've figured out he likes them disabled vs. chasing them. Dust them with calcium every feed. We're still getting to know each other i suppose. We'll see how he does on his morning feed in a minute. Is there a supplement for neuro/overall health i could use for him in the meantime?

Maybe it was a fluke..idk. I will be getting him tested though. No use in freaking out until I know for sure.

Thank you for your help!
Jess

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jess,

That is good news he has eaten his crickets then!
Be sure to get calcium into him 5 or so days per week on one daily feeding anyway. Calcium
issues arise quickly especially when they are growing so fast. You can add a B complex vitamin
to help with any nutritional problems that could contribute to neurological symptoms.
Is he still looking up a lot or has he stopped doing that so much?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom