Dragon I rescued just laid eggs! What do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

melissajo

:shock:

Here's my first post about the male and female I rescued: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=248863

The dragons have been in separate tanks with their own lighting and heat and food ever since. They were on Walnut sand, but when I moved them into their new houses, I switched them to felt.

This morning I did notice the female was digging like crazy in the corner. I did some research and it seemed like she just wanted to dig, so I ordered some excavator clay from amazon to let her create her own house... But we just got back from the grocery store and she's lying on the side of the cage with the felt pushed back and there are eggs! :( I had NO IDEA she had eggs to lay.

She looked so sad! I gave her a mist of water and tossed Flukers Medley Treat for Bearded Dragons (dried worms etc) in a calcium supplement powder and put some in front of her. She seemed to perk up significantly...

WHAT do I do? Can I just take the eggs away from her? When do I do that? Will she react badly? How do I know she's done laying eggs?

Should I try to hatch them? I do have a bag of the walnut sand that they came with... I could put them in that? Or put some in a tub for her? I feel awful! and at a loss! I will post some pics next. Please any advice!!!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would put them in the freezer to stop the embryo from developing. This is the most humane way to go about it. They do lay infertile eggs, but still this would be the safest practice.

Since you rescued the two, there is a good chance they did mate. Either way, since you dont know for sure, the eggs should definitely be put in the freezer to make them not viable.

As far as your female, good that you gave her extra calcium. make sure you keep her well fed and hydrated to help her rebuild after the taxing egg laying process.

-Brandon

melissajo

Original Poster
claudiusx":j7ozb87s said:
I would put them in the freezer to stop the embryo from developing. This is the most humane way to go about it. They do lay infertile eggs, but still this would be the safest practice.

Thank you! I will do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom