how to keep silkworms alive past cocoon stage

Status
Not open for further replies.

gigi613

Hello friends!
I am a new silkworm investor as my beardie loves them and I despise crickets with a passion!
I have successfully learned how to raise eggs into big old chunky worms and successfully have had some spin in some time as well.
But here’s my issue... the two that spun died in the cocoon. It was 6 weeks after spinning so I cut the cocoon open (carefully Incase anything was still alive) and found shriveled up half developed moths not even fully out of the pupae shell.

My question is what conditions should I keep my cocoons under and what are some tips to hatch healthy moths? I don’t want this to keep happening and am truly devastated they didn’t make it. Thank you for your help in advance!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Not all of them will fully develop if you are buying the eggs most places mention this I believe. Once you get a few generations into your breeding you should have better success. Just keep them how you keep your worms and it should be fine.

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Unfortunately, not all of them make it, as sad as it is. When I hatch some out, it is upsetting when
they don't make it out. I keep track of when they go into the cocoon, etc & about when they should
be coming out.
Sometimes you can pick the cocoon up & actually hear it scratching its way trying to get out. I will
often times help it out. I think that they excrete higher levels of serrapeptase secretions than at other
times of the year. The serrapeptase enzyme helps to break down the silk, allowing them to dissolve
the silk & hatch out. It is most likely their form of population control I would assume.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom