Odd twitching and gaping/beard stretching

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed some odd behaviour from my About 4 month bearded dragon tonight. I walked over to check his temps. He had dark stress marks and bread andhe was gaping,after he closed his mother she would puff his beard everytime he exhaled. He switched between gaping and puffing for about 5 minutes. He stopped as soon as I took him out to check on him and proceeded to run around on me for about 20 minutes free of steess marks. I put him back and he ran around the tank A bit before jumping on his basking rock. After a few minutes he twichted his right front leg and left back leg. His stress marks came back and he twitched his head and legs a few minutes later. I took him out again and his stress marks disappeared and he began running around on me again. I will be calling the vet in the morning. But does anyone know what's going on? I've only had him since the 1st of March and he has a 10.0 reptisun t8 inside his tank. Gets calcium+d3 on all his bugs like my vet told me, except for Monday a week when he gets a multivitamin. Eats either collard greens, turnip greens, or mustard greens daily as well. Temps are 105-115 ferinhite basking and 85 cool side. 20 gallon tank for now. Poops look good with no sign of parisites 100 wat basking bulb on a adjustable stand so I can move it away or closer to the tank as need be. Great energy very sturdy on his feet no problem hunting his crickets. And currently about to shed his tail and back legs.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Sounds like he is going to shed more than you think. These are all shedding motions you have described.
He might also be telling you he needs more space.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Also its a 20 gallon tank and you have the UVB inside the tank -- could be hes getting too much UVB rays -- I would take the UVB put it on top of the tank w/ out the screen and see if his behavior changes-- you might be over UVBing him ---
Karrie

Geoffrey16

Original Poster
The uvb is on the bottom of the lid. There's no way for it to be on on top without the screen. It's also I heavier screen than the mesh. I am currently working on getting a much bigger tank that opens front. Most likely will be builiding a 4',2',2 feet tank.

Geoffrey16

Original Poster
He also gaping in low temps around 95 as I just turned his lights on a half hour ago at 930am me his tank is still getting warm. I'm using a Digital probe to measure temp.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Digital probes are good but not as accurate as a infrared heat gun -they can be bought at Walmart Home Depot or Lowes for around $10 - I would recommend you get one since hes going to be going into a 120 gallon tank ---- the gaping usually means its too hot-- and hes getting stress marks AFTER you put him back in? Something is going on w/ that tank -- so either its the temp or too strong of UVB or both-- either way I would put the UVB on top of mesh and check the temps w/ heat gun --- I would start there and see if the gaping stops along w/ the stress marks :)--- just a suggestion
Karrie

Geoffrey16

Original Poster
Could it be do to slightly high humidity? I know ideal humidity is aorund 35% if I'm not wrong? It's usually quite humid in the summer where I live but doesn't usually go past 40% in his tank except the past few days at like 45% even with the dehumidifier I have running.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I don't think so my tank at times gets 45% and no behavior difference-- I am thinking it's one or both of what I mentioned earlier
Karrie

Geoffrey16

Original Poster
I forgot to mention I did also move the uvb to on top of the lid when I asked about the humdity and will be going to get a heat gun as soon as I can later today.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Sounds good -- you shouldnt haft to worry about humidity unless it gets 65% or higher or so I have been told--
Karrie

Geoffrey16

Original Poster
I've read 50% is like the highest it should be but I've had it higher than 50% at times and haven't seen any problem but it was only that high for a little bit not an extended period of time. But I will keep an eye on him and post updates later. Thanks for your advice Karrie.

Geoffrey16

Original Poster
His stress marks went away but have come back. I think he may be dehydrated because his eyes are drooping pretty far. I gove him water on his nose daily and gut load bug but hes not a very good drinker and waits until his veggies dry out to eat them. I will try giving him some extra water and see if the stress marks let up.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Give him a warm bath-- he may drink in the bath-- I would continue to give him baths the next couple of days and watch his eyes
Karrie

Geoffrey16

Original Poster
I will try but baths are pretty much a no go. He absolutely hates the bath. I try to only do it when he absolutely needs it for shedding or he ran around in his poop. It makes him super stressed. Running and jumping face first into the walls so hard a fast it makes a little thud. Ive also never seen him drink from the bath. But will give it a shot.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Try the sink --- my beardie doesnt like baths either -- I put a dish towel in sink and run the water on him --- I have a sprayer that pulls out --- he at first jumps to get out and put him back in and he finally gives up---- let the sprayer run on him for about 10-15 minutes ---- the water pools in the dish towel so hes also soaking in it
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom