Bubs is acting odd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peeps

Original Poster
Yes it is a tube light and I have been giving her extra calcium supplement because I too thought she was gravid, but no he said no signs of eggs on xray but I don’t really trust him all too much even though he does do reptiles and there are few herp vets near me so I really have no option of who I go to but I mentioned her acting like she wants to lay but he dismissed it. What should I do if she is looking to lay? Do I need to get her a box w/ sand if so what kind if sand do you recommend I use ect.
Thankyou so much!

Mykenzie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

How is your girl doing today, any changes or improvements?
Definitely keep a laybox ready for her. Are you going to try & find another vet to have them
take a look over those x-rays as well?
That's great you have been giving extra calcium then, that will help immensely for her. She
sure has a round belly, almost dragging the floor. LOL
Is she eating much right now?
You can use washed & sifted playsand, but not the calcisand that is sold in pet stores. Mix
that with non chemically treated potting soil & keep it wet/damp so that it will hold up when
she digs to make a burrow. You don't want it sopping wet though. If you wanted to, you can
put a lower wattage basking bulb over it so she stays warm too. Be sure that the depth is at
least 12 inches so that she can burrow.

Tracie

Peeps

Original Poster
Hello

She is doing good, she ate some greens today actually, I am so happy! I let her out of her tank and she ran around the house for a bit, other than that she basked a little and rested for the remainder of the day. I bought her some vermiculite and coconut fiber soil and mixed that together. I read that that is a good combination for egg laying. I currently don't have the money to get a second opinion from a vet, and there aren't any near me, the closest one would be an hour to an hour and a half away. If anything changes with her and things decline in any way I will definitely bring her somewhere reliable, but she is eating and acting normal at the moment so I am not concerned enough for her to need another evaluation. Thank you for all your help!

Mykenzie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Oh dear--- not sure about that coconut fiber soil-- seems the dust is going to cause issues w/ breathing it--- but someone else on here should weigh in on that ---
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good to hear she is active & was running around as well. I completely understand about
not getting another opinion. As long as she is not acting lethargic, black bearding as she would
if she were in distress or pain then hopefully if there are developing eggs she will just lay them.
The coconut husk might be dusty but if you mix it with potting that would cut down on the dust
from both the vermiculite & coconut as well as give more solid substrate for burrowing.
I hope she is doing good today! Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Peeps

Original Poster
Hello again,

Okay so I noticed something odd the past few weeks, she has been eating her greens again and her poops look normal, although she s seem like she might be straining a bit to go and she has needed baths to move her bowels. However she smells foul, almost like lizard body odor, this concerns me because dragons aren't supposed to smell and she has never smelt before unless she ran in her poo, but even with baths and a spot clean tank, she seems to emit this odor from her body. It doesn't seem to be coming from any place in particular but all over, so I'm assuming from her pores. I am aware that this could be some type of infection, however my main concern is renal disease. I know from her past bloodwork hat her uric acid levels were raised, so I figured to cut back on the protein intake, she has an appointment at a great exotics vet quite far from me but I can't stand going to inexperienced people anymore, so I'm deciding to take the hike for her. Her belly still seems quite distended and I am nervous that she is struggling to pass her stool because her kidney may be enlarged. I could be overreacting, but I am bringing her in just to be sure. I will get bloodwork done and post it on here, the appointment is at 7pm on Wednesday, so I probably wont have the results for a little while in the upcoming week. This Vet I am seeing has been featured on Animal Planet for their work on reptiles so I am very hopeful that they can provide me with the answers I am looking for and not look at me clueless. Bubs is doing good, as I write this she is running around my room adventuring and actively eating her greens and veggies which makes me happy to see since it has been so long. her colors are bright and she shows signs of shedding on her belly soon. Her urates appear normal and stool has good form to it. She is alert and doesn't seem in any distress, I am hoping the eggs you might have saw aren't stones of some sort, if this is anything to do renally. I am keeping a close eye on her until the Vet just in case but hopefully it's not something too serious and can be easily fixed. May 12 is when I brought her home from PetSmart and this is the longest I have ever had a dragon as my other two that I got from there had malignant endocrine tumors. I love my not to little one very much and I am willing to go the length to make sure she is a happy healthy Beardie.

Mykenzie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing today?
Has she been black bearding at all?
When is the vet appointment, this coming wednesday? Definitely post the blood test
results here if you can & I'll take a look at them for you. I hope her kidneys are doing
alright.
I am a bit concerned as well, if you are saying she has a strange smell. That could be
eggs possibly, but not sure. Is her belly still pretty rounded then?
What about her wanting to dig, has she had any of that behavior? They can retain eggs
& have trouble with them so getting her to the vet is a good idea.
How high were the uric acid levels in the past, do you have the blood test results?

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Peeps

Original Poster
Hello,

Bubs is doing good today, ate some small Dubai roaches and I left some greens in for her while I go to my class. The Appointment is on the 8th, this week. The previous blood results are posted in my previous posts under Blood Test Results which you did take a look at and said that the uric acid looked a bit high, which is when I started to lower the amount of bugs I was giving her. Do her kidneys look enlarged at all in the XRAY that I provided earlier in this post? She digs a little bit in her tank but only for a few seconds and then stops, I have tried putting her in the bin I made for a couple hours and no luck, she just basks and tries to get out. Her belly does seem distended still but more so in the pelvic area, it almost seems to hang down more than the rest of her belly. She is still running around normally and exploring, still alert and actively eating. I might have them do another XRAY with better quality but I will have to see how much it is and what they say from the overall exam.

Mykenzie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I forgot, they were high but not too bad. It could be contributed to stress or some levels of
dehydration, too. As a precaution, lowering the protein was a good idea & then increasing
the fluids.
It didn't appear in the x-ray that her kidneys are enlarged but it is hard to tell on x-rays. A
higher resonance x-ray may show eggs more clearly. If her belly is rounded out & droopy
she probably has eggs. Has her appetite decreased any since her behavior started? Keep
the laybox handy because in case she needs it you will have it for her.
She isn't exhibiting any black beard right now?

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She is probably reabsorbing the eggs, if she has them. This happens quite often, but, you
definitely need to watch her closely to be sure she doesn't look to be having trouble like
straining, but nothing happening, etc.
At least she doesn't have a black beard, that is a good sign. Were you taking her back to
the vets?

Tracie

Peeps

Original Poster
Hello again

I was curious if her eyes looked droopy at all to you? She doesn’t smell as much anymore but it’s definitely an on and off thing I have noticed with her, sometimes she smells foul for no apparent reason but it seems to be less noticeable today.
I am bringing her to the vet tomorrow evening, an experienced herp vet as well so I should be getting top notch care and answers unlike before.

87949-6443363125.jpg
87949-5618238626.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing today, do you have any news from your vet visit?
You could give more frequent baths to help, if she still has a bit of a smell. Did the vet have any
ideas of what that could be?
She is so pretty, I love her bright yellow. I don't think her eyes look droopy at all. If her pads on top
of her head are down some, she may need a bit more fluids so you could give more fluids if you
would like.
Has she been eating more? Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom