Beardie not eating or pooping! Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok well that's normal -- his main diet is protein -- have you tried dubia roaches? Maybe he's tired of crickets-- try those!
Karrie

Mikeed

Original Poster
Thanks you I will give roaches a go... he still has not passed and did not eat this morning!

Mikeed

Original Poster
so a little update here...

I have now tried roaches and since the last post Spyro ate 4. He is still not really feeding as he should be or pooing. so took him to the vet. The vet did a fecal exam and general checks which were all good and healthy. The fecal exam showed parasite eggs, but a low volume that should not be causing any issues, non-the-less prescribed a course of oral paste for 3 days.

Spyro has now (as of today) had the 3 day course. For now he seems much the same, his behavior seems alert in the morning, then snugs down most of the day next to the basking spot in the warm end, basically asleep.

I know know the set up / temps are good. hes treated for parasites and is otherwise healthy, he is not loosing weight... so, could this be my fist experience of Brumation? his behavior has been like this for nearly 3 weeks, and and he is approximately 9-10 months old? is that likely?!

Thanks

Mike

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
His metabolism might have slowed down -- not really brumation -- its good he ate 4 roaches - they are filling -- 1 roach is = to 6 crickets-- dont worry about the poop - if his metabolism is slowing that means the poop is going to slow as well --- he will poop eventually dont panic --- and since you took him in to the vet you know hes healthy-- that paste stuff may effect his appetite too - did they say anything about that?
Karrie

Mikeed

Original Poster
Thanks KR, they did not mention any potential side effects on the paste such as loss of appetite, the paste was meant to be taken with food... but that did not happen as he did not eat, on the plus side.... he ate one roach today!

Hi there! Did you figure out what it was? I ask because my 9 month old is doing the same thing. Has been for a month. Everything is spot on husbandry wise, no parasites, no impaction, no eggs. She will maybe eat 5 pieces of collard greens and a single dubia or super in the morning and that's it. totally refuses any other food all together. Next step I think is blood work :(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Renoholdway-- your lighting in tank is good? Can you post your tank and lighting please-- 9 months old is pretty young for brumation-- please start a new thread
Thank you
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom