Cricket bite or tail rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
103691-8509508823.jpg
I noticed my baby's tail had a wound on it last night but have no idea as to how or could've got there. Does it look like a bite? Or could it possibly be some other kind of trauma? What should I do?? It doesn't seem to be bothersome.... it looks terrible though. Please HELP!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's tail rot which can be caused by a variety of traumas but not usually a cricket bite. Sometimes it's a tiny band of retained shed , sometimes a bite from a cagemate or getting the tail pinched very hard under something. Is your baby housed alone ? That may fall of + be fine but it looks a bit infected . You may need to amputate right above the bad area. For now soak it in a watered down betadine solution and apply neosporin after it dries.

advannoy13

Original Poster
How long should I soak it for? Should I cover it with a bandaid or anything? My baby is housed alone and the only beardie I have, and I'm very careful to keep my other pets away from him and they do not have access to him, ever.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You don't need to soak the tail for any longer than a few minutes really. Just enough to clean
it but be sure the betadine is diluted & is a weaker solution. It should look like weak tea when
you are done diluting it.
You can get some raw, unpasteurized or manuka honey to put on the wound area to help keep
any infection at bay.
As suggested, it may need to be amputated at that area or it could just dry out & fall of on its own
but you should keep a close eye on it to be sure it doesn't travel upwards.
Was there maybe a loose cricket in the tank?

Tracie

advannoy13

Original Poster
I try to keep track of how many crickets I put in the tank and I try to watch Drogon to see how many he eats but he doesn't like me to watch him so after about 15 mintues or so I'll go through the newspaper in the tank and fish any remaining crickets out. I guess it could be a possibility I missed one...
with the raw honey, should I wash it off and reapply it daily? What would the infection look like if it were to continue to move up the tail?

advannoy13

Original Poster
And can I continue to give him baths with his tail this way, or should I hold off to see how it's looking?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How big is your tank and are you upgrading soon---? too avoid crickets from getting under substrate I would recommend getting non adhesive shelf liner from Home Depot or Lowes -- its easy to clean w/ vinegar / water 50/50 in a spray bottle and they cant get underneath---
Karrie

advannoy13

Original Poster
We're moving hom into his new 4x2x2 Zen today, and are planning on putting slate tiles down for the substrate... I'll definitely look into the non adhesive shelf liner trough, that sounds like it may be easier. Any opinions on the slate tile?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Just make sure its slated so he does not slip--- they have many colors so its your choice- the tile will need to be cut to tank size and make sure you put a knick on one ot two of the sides (corners) so you can pull it easier for getting it out-- makes it easier to get out- you can put paper towels under neath for the watery/ urate to be absorbed and it doesnt soak into the tile underneath--
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Some place non adhesive shelf liner underneath of the tiles so that they don't slip around.
The textured tiles are good & they help with keeping their nails filed down, too.
How is he doing today? That is great you are moving him into a 4x2x2 tank, I'm sure that
he will love that.
Be sure to post pictures of his new home, with him in it of course, so we can all see him. :D

Let us know how his tail is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom