Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxuk2006

Hello. I'm after some advice please. I recently purchased a bearded dragon with full setup. When I went to collect the beardy, he seemed very alert and happy. Since bringing him into my home he hasn't eaten, and hasn't moved from hiding. Does anyone have an explanation as to what is happening? As I said, he was very alert and active when I first met him 4 days ago. I understand this post isn't very informative but I can provide any information requested. This bearded dragon is my very first so I may even be doing something wrong! ☹️

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hello, welcome to the forums! If you can post pictures of your beardie and his setup, that would help a lot with diagnostics. Posting images here is a little bit of a pain - you want to go to the User Image Uploader up on the banner, upload your images, and then make a post here where you click the "XING" button above the text box to insert your photo, which will appear as this sans "*": [XIMG*]96999 8369175554[***/XIMG]
But once you actual post will show the image, like this picture of my boy Guac:
96999-8369175554.jpg

"Full Setup" in particular isn't very helpful, as for a young enough beardie that could mean something as small as a 10 gallon (only for a very short time) to a "bigger is better" size tank of ??? gallons, haha. Did you purchase a kit or individual items?

At a random guess, I would say your beardie is either chilly (appetite is very heat/light dependent for our scaly friends) or that you are trying to feed something he isn't used to. What are you trying to feed him?

Good luck!
-Ellentomologist

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
It's very common for them to get relocation stress, and that may be at least part of what's going on. They don't like change, and it can take them a week or two to re-adjust, even in cases where it's just upsizing their habitat with everything the same otherwise. It could also be temperatures as mentioned, so details there will help, including how you are measuring them. Those little thermometers you get from the pet store aren't a good indicator, so it'd be in your (and your new friend's!) best interests to go to a hardware store and get an IR temp gun. They are between $10-20 USD here in the 'states.

maxuk2006

Original Poster
Hello and thank you for your rapid response! I purchased from a seller on the internet who was moving country and couldn't take him with him. He is around 18 months old and is kept in a 4ft wide, 2ft deep Viv as shown in the picture. He feels cold to the touch but has not basked since coming home. His heated end is at 110f and his cooler end is 65f. He is currently tucked under his basking area and has been for the 4 days. He is fed on locusts and various safe fruit and veg. He hasn't eaten any of these. I know he ate these previously in his past owners care. I would like to pick him up out of the area he's in but I'm afraid he'll bite ? being a new owner I'm not sure on behaviour or body language to look out for.
104228-9376412648.jpg
104228-2220370779.jpg

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hiya,

That is an incredible looking setup! However 65F is a little chilly for these guys during the day... You really want more in the neighborhood of 80 for the cool areas, with them falling down as low as the mid 60s at night.

Generally speaking beardies tend not to bite. Guac's only bitten me once, and that's while I was hand feeding him superworms (he got a little over excited, lol)... You're probably good moving him to the warmer area of the enclosure, just make sure to support all 4 footsies and you should be fine.

If he isn't in the mood, you can expect him to "puff up", make his beard go all black, and open his mouth - here is a youtube video of an aggressive beardie for reference. Like I say though, it is incredibly uncommon for beardies to bite. Even when they do bite, it's pretty unusual for them to break the skin.

Good luck!
-Ellentomologist

maxuk2006

Original Poster
104228-6556657166.jpg
I'm still incredibly nervous to pick him out from his hiding place ?‍♂️?. One observation I've noticed which seems bizarre is, though he feels very chilly, he has his mouth constantly ajar. From what I have read, this only really happens when he has reached an optimal temperature, or if the have respiratory problems. Is this correct?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Not sure about the mouth ajar mine sometimes does it could be hes adjusting to his temp- what is the substrate in the tank -- what kind of chips is that? And where is the UVB? Is it on top of the tank? Can you tell us what kind of UVB it is? We need to rule out things that are going on w/ him -- he shouldnt be doing relocation stress since hes in the same tank -- so his environment is the same --- but something is obviously going on --
Karrie

Martadragon017

Hatchling Member
I would also suggest taking out the what seems like wood chip bedding. Loose bedding typically isn't recommended for beardies since they often lick things to see what they are, and when they eat might also accidentally ingest some of the bedding, which can be dangerous and cause impaction or, depending on the bedding, even scratch their internal organs. I hope that your beardie gets better soon!

maxuk2006

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3c01worr said:
Not sure about the mouth ajar mine sometimes does it could be hes adjusting to his temp- what is the substrate in the tank -- what kind of chips is that? And where is the UVB? Is it on top of the tank? Can you tell us what kind of UVB it is? We need to rule out things that are going on w/ him -- he shouldnt be doing relocation stress since hes in the same tank -- so his environment is the same --- but something is obviously going on --
Karrie

I'm unsure on what chip it is specifically. It's what he came with. The uvb is on top of the tank, yes. The uvb bulb is an exoterra t8 if that's right?
Another opinion I have received says it may be brumation? Could this be a possibility?

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Where about do you live? In my area, it would be way to late for brumation... :?

Honestly a little concerned your new friend might have respiratory problems? Not sure if it's true of reptiles, but I used to breed rats and had to avoid wood chip bedding like the plague because anything with resin can be very irritating to the respiratory tract. Hope not, though.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get rid of the chips-- you can replace w/ non adhesive shelf floor liner or slated ceramic tile from Home Depot or Lowes -- it is cheap and easy to clean vinegar/ water 50/50 in a spray bottle-- the T 8 is it a Reptisun bulb - ? Please look-- if it is it needs to be inside the tank approx 8-10 inches from basking spot-- if it is not a Reptisun I would suggest you replace it w/ one that is a 10.0 bulb -- you will see a difference in his behavior right away--- how are you taking basking temps? Infrared heat gun is best will give you more accurate temps -- they too can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes or Walmart --- around $10
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, what a lucky dragon with a home like that! It does look very good.
Some better choices for substrate would be non adhesive shelf liner, colored felt, brown butcher's
paper, reptile carpet or textured slate tile are good.
Has he settled in yet?

Tracie

maxuk2006

Original Poster
Ellentomologist":1qk304vb said:
Where about do you live? In my area, it would be way to late for brumation... :?

Honestly a little concerned your new friend might have respiratory problems? Not sure if it's true of reptiles, but I used to breed rats and had to avoid wood chip bedding like the plague because anything with resin can be very irritating to the respiratory tract. Hope not, though.

I am in the u.k. I will be looking to change the substrate asap! I didn't realise wood chip was so bad for beardies!

KarrieRee":1qk304vb said:
Please get rid of the chips-- you can replace w/ non adhesive shelf floor liner or slated ceramic tile from Home Depot or Lowes -- it is cheap and easy to clean vinegar/ water 50/50 in a spray bottle-- the T 8 is it a Reptisun bulb - ? Please look-- if it is it needs to be inside the tank approx 8-10 inches from basking spot-- if it is not a Reptisun I would suggest you replace it w/ one that is a 10.0 bulb -- you will see a difference in his behavior right away--- how are you taking basking temps? Infrared heat gun is best will give you more accurate temps -- they too can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes or Walmart --- around $10
Karrie

I'm taking temperatures with analog thermometers. I will source an infra red one though for sure. Attached is a picture of the uvb bulb.
104228-2915607952.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes please replace the bulb here are some to stay away from --
Bands to DEFINITELY ADVOID buying are as follows :
Nomoy Pet,
Zilla,
All Living Things,
Reptile-One,
URS,
MegaRay Brand,
CrawlMiracle,
Nat Geo ,
Sparkzoo reptispar,
Repti-Zoo ,

Please replace w/ the Reptisun 10.0 bulb and place inside the tank approx 8-10 inches from him
thanks
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom