New Beardie Lethargic and Eyes Won’t Open *resolved*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, so I’m a brand new Beardie mom and feel like I must be doing something horribly wrong.

Some info about my setup. I have a 40 gallon breeder lined with non adhesive shelf liner and repticaret. I’ve been using a mercury vapor bulb that kept the basking area at about 103 degrees. The cool side was 80.

So just 4 days ago I purchased an adult Beardie from my county reptile store who are known for being reputable. He was taken in from a previous owner so not much is known about him. He’s maybe a year old and just began shedding.

Friday April 19, I brought him home and he was super curious. I fed him superworms and some kale, he had a good appetite. Saturday he rose with the basking lamp, but I noticed about midday, his left eye was frequently closing. But he was still active and inquisitive. I took him outside to explore the yard, which he seemed to enjoy and both eyes were mostly opened. But when he used the bathroom, it was very loose and runny.

Sunday, his energy began to wane. Now both his eyes were closing but he always had energy to chase worms and eat. I took him outside again and he perked up, but eventually grew tired and rest with his eyes closed.

Yesterday, Monday 22nd he hardly moved at all and had another runny stool. He’s still shedding a lot, his belly, sides, face and legs. But when offered food, he would still eat but then quickly close his eyes. Now today, he refuses to eat, hardly moved at all and rarely opens his eyes longer than a few seconds. Even when I took him outside, he seemed rather indifferent.

I’ve been giving him lukewarm baths for his shedding. In the evenings he goes to bed right before the sun goes down and tries to dig himself a hide. I’m trying to set up an appointment with the local reptile vet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please hold off on the vet--- he is having relocation stress and you dont want him to stress more than he needs to -- let him adjust to his new surroundings before you take him in -- lets discuss his husbandry---- can you post a pic of his tank and lighting--- we need to see if this is the culprit for the eyes closing etc energy thing
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Tmmc28 please post a new thread and post pics of your tank and lighting as well
thank you
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I see the heat emitter that is good but I see no UVB --- this is crucial --- he needs UVB -- this is what is recommended on the foruWhich UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- make sure its the 10.0 bulb and not the 5.0 HO -- that is more for tropical reptiles ---
Karrie

Mochipanda

Original Poster
Actually I went out and bought one this morning, the same as you described. But the fixture won’t arrive until Thurs. I was told the mercury vapor bulb (Exo Terra Sun Glo) wouldn’t need any additional UVB lights which is why I went with it. Regretting that decision.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You will need a basking light then too --- I recommend you get a infrared heat gun from Walmart or Home Depot Lowes for getting accurate basking temps--- get your lighting all fixed and you will see a difference in your baby
Karrie

Mochipanda

Original Poster
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help! Will post an update in a few days to share his progress.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you mean the Solar Glo MVB by Exoterra? The Sunglo is made by Exoterra but is just a
basking bulb without emitting any UVB.
Please let us know which light you did get. The Solar Glo is a pretty decent light, though not
real strong, it will suffice. You can always use a tube bulb in combination with it to boost the
UVB emissions & overall brightness factor.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

Mochipanda

Original Poster
Yes my mistake. I purchased the Solar Glo All in One Bulb. His new UVB will be arriving today. Nothing has changed so far. A lot of his shed has come off but he has not eaten since Monday night. Yesterday his eyes opened in the morning for about 5 minutes straight, but then he went back to keeping them closed and not moving the rest of the day. This morning as well. Every now and then he’ll keep them half open briefly and then closed again.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's always the risk with a dragon with an unknown history. All you can do is provide proper care and hope he ends up healthy.

But, you are in the right place and on the right track.
Like mentioned, your bulb does produce uvb also. But getting the tube is a better option imo. Plus it will help light up more of the tank.

Keep offering him food and we will see how it comes along from there. It's not uncommon for them to not have an appetite when a change of environment occurs, and stress can cause runny stools. That's why I'd recommend holding off on a vet and a fecal for at least a week if not 2.

-Brandon

Mochipanda

Original Poster
Thank you all so much for the help. I offered him food again before I left for work. Good news, he ate 5 supers and a small palm full of collards. He perked up a bit and was looking around curiously like his usual self. But after a few minutes he went to bask and kept his eyes closed until I left. I’ll count it as progress!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
Yes, remember it does take reptile in general awhile to respond to changes & to get better.
I think you should use both the Solar Glo in combination with a tube UVB. The combination
together will yield a good UVB ratio with overall increases in brightness for him.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Mochipanda

Original Poster
Ok 4/25 update! Came home from work and eyes were still closed. So I took him out to the yard for some sunshine before sunset and he was still a lil lethargic...
Back inside tho, I offered him some collards and a few more supers which he readily ate.
I installed the new ReptiSun 10.0 tube and he curiously watched the whole time! Didn’t move much, but he was attentive. And then his bed time rolled around so he got tired again.
Overall he seems to be doing better. Will continue to watch him the next few days and his response to the new UV light. Here’s a pic of how my Fernando looked today! Thanks again for all the suggestions and concern everyone =)

104208-4354315014.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom