Baby Beardie closing his eyes

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Re: Baby Beardie closing his eyes

Postby kmwilson042182 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:05 pm

I do think dragging him to vet would be undue stress at this point. I would give the new UVB the chance to work it’s magic first. If he keeps eating and pooing and is gaining weight and shedding and such, then you have time.

Kyle
kmwilson042182
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby andrewmo » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:06 pm

kmwilson042182 wrote:I do think dragging him to vet would be undue stress at this point. I would give the new UVB the chance to work it’s magic first. If he keeps eating and pooing and is gaining weight and shedding and such, then you have time.

Kyle

Yeah that's true as well. I did call for an estimate and they don't do a fecal sample without seeing the animal. $116 for the exam and $88 for the sample. (Does this seem really high?)
andrewmo
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:12 pm

You can call and see other reptile vets in your area -- I dont know if you have a few or limited to just one--- I took my fecal into a vet w/ out her seeing him first --- it was $30 - they sent it out -- and when it came back w/ NO parasites found I ended up having to take him in since that wasnt the issue -- so w/ that being said the bill was $262 for exam blood work and critical care carnivore prescribed -- you can see if your UVB fixes the issue w/ him but it will also give you time to call and see who does fecal w/ out seeing reptile first--- make sure they do levels too - the first vet I took mine to just looked to see if he had parasites and if he did they just treated - no level was done---
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster

Postby claudiusx » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:20 pm

That's too high for a fecal imo. Find another vet for a price.

-Brandon
claudiusx

Postby andrewmo » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:27 pm

claudiusx wrote:That's too high for a fecal imo. Find another vet for a price.

-Brandon

Vet's are generally overpriced as it is where I am, I imagine more so for herp vets. But yeah, I'm calling around. Will keep you posted - thanks for all the guidance.
andrewmo
Newbie Poster

Postby andrewmo » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:08 pm

Unfortunately there is only two Her vets near me. I booked him for Tuesday. It looked like it was getting better on Wednesday but no change yesterday or today.

Still pretty active, eating normally (though spaced out between resting eyes). I look going to start saline again flu too his appt since it did seem to help a bit.

Any OTC Remedies come to mind for something like this?
andrewmo
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Drache613 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:20 pm

Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
Were you wanting to naturally treat parasites without meds or are you referring to treating her
eyes?
If you are already using the saline solution daily, there isn't a whole lot more you can do but just
wait. Were you able to get the lighting all adjusted for her?

Tracie
Drache613

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:59 pm

Simple to do test if you suspect you have a dodgey UV source that is producing a bad UV spectrum that is bothering the reptile's eyes.

Turn it of for a few days , a few days with no UV will not harm a reptile (think a period very overcast days).

If the reptile stops the worrying behavior, it's likely due to the UV source and it goes in the tash and is replaced with a better UV source .
If the reptile continues the worrying behavior it is not the UV source but something else - an injured eye ? conjunctivitis ? some irritating grit between the eye and the eyelid or eyesocket ? an allergic reaction to something ? and requires a vet to assess the problem.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Fluffy rescued injured by lawnwacker14Nov17, Gutzy 27Sep19.
Lucky - cat attack rescue, SI RIP 21Jul2010.
Wriggles - injured rescued, boss lizard, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16. .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby andrewmo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:59 am

His eyes are still bugging him. I swapped out the lighting last week for a Reptisun 10. Still doing the saline. Appetite is up and down but generally pretty good. He just ate a ton this morning - bathroom habits are fine as well.

I did have some left over Tobrex from one my cats and read that its commonly prescribed, so I've been trying that to give him at least some relief before his vet appt tomorrow. Doesn't seem to have made it better or worse --- maybe a light improvement in comparing it to just saline.

I'll have a better idea once he gets checked out tomorrow. He's a trooper.
andrewmo
Newbie Poster

Postby kmwilson042182 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:25 am

How's your little guy doing now? Did the Vet figure anything out?

Kyle
kmwilson042182
Hatchling Poster

Postby Drache613 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:59 pm

Hello!

How are things going with your little one?
The saline wash daily, combined with the Tobrex together might be more helpful than just
using the saline wash.
At least he ate well just recently. Is he digesting properly too?

Keep us updated on him.

Tracie
Drache613

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed May 01, 2019 9:50 pm

Be very careful self prescribing meds and pharmaceuticals unless you know the correct doseage.

Especially using a med meant from another animal (your cat) as you don't know the correct doseage for your dragon.

I looked up Tobrex : Common side effects of include:
fungal conjunctivitis
eye irritation or feeling of having something in the eye
inflammation of the cornea (clear front portion of your eye) (punctate keratitis)
swollen / itchy eyelids
eye redness
increased tearing
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Fluffy rescued injured by lawnwacker14Nov17, Gutzy 27Sep19.
Lucky - cat attack rescue, SI RIP 21Jul2010.
Wriggles - injured rescued, boss lizard, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16. .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Beardie ER