Lighting help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone give me the low down on lighting? I have the reptisun t5 with a fixture from HD. Also a reptile basking bulb. Now I am just reading the t5 needs to be a certain number of inches away from the basking spot? I currently have the uvb inside the tank, which i thought was better than outside of the mesh top. And I've also just learned that I need to remove the plastic cover from the fixture. So I guess my question is what is the best location and spacing for the uvb light?
Thank you for your time.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The t5 puts out stronger uvb. You should remove the plastic cover on your fixture as that is blocking the uv rays.

How close can your dragon get tonit at his basking spot currently. Inside the tank is ok as long as it's far enough away to not be too intense at the basking site and the rest of the tank. All just depends on your tank. My t5s are mounted inside my tanks but I also have 4x2x2 tanks and the bulb is 12 or so inches from the basking surfaces.

The t5 is strong enough to be mounted outside the tank, while the t8 version should usually go inside.

-Brandon

daniellesweet

Original Poster
What is too close and what types of problems would be happening if it is too close? I have a small tank, 20L, hes a juvie.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Do you know how far your bulb is from the basking surface? I wouldn't have it any closer than 10 inches inside the tank.

You wouldn't really have any problems, its just uv radiation is damaging, and it's good to not expose them to more than they need.
Sometimes if it's too much, they will hide or not bask as much as they should.

-Brandon

daniellesweet

Original Poster
I did notice he was hiding, but what I did was lower his log so his basking bulb is a little farther from the basking spot. i find it a little difficult with just a 20L tank, and my uvb is 22 inches. I have it inside of the tank, so there's only so far it can be away from the basking spot.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well you want it right above the basking spot, not to the side of it. By how far away I meant in height.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom