Help with enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konnor

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if I could get a look over/help with my enclosure. My beardie seems to be doing fine, but every once in a while she’ll act different than normal and it worries me.

Basking surface temp:105
Ambient temp: 90-95
Cool side temp: 75-80
Humidity: 35-40%
104211-2053105608.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First of all what kind of UVB? Is it a coil? you need a tube- UVB--- Here is some info for you
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- that would be my first guess on the behavior thing
Karrie

Konnor

Original Poster
Yes, it is a coil.

So you’re saying I would need a hood with a uvb tube correct? How should I go about moving the heat bulb into the enclosure at that point? Do I need something completely different?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What is the light by it self? The UVB needs to be one of the ones I sent info on -- once you get it let us know what you have and we can help from there -- you definitely want a tube UVB and usually the basking bulb is separate--- its just easier to manage- also it would be good to invest in a infrared heat gun- I see you have digital probes - they are good for ambient temps in the tank but getting a actual basking temp where your beardie sits the heat gun is more accurate
Karrie

Konnor

Original Poster
The bulb is a reptisun 10.0 uvb coil.

So I should get a t8 rather than the t5 bulb since the fixture will be resting on the top of the viv, away from the screen? Basking area is about 8-9in from the top of the viv. And I was just confused on how I would get my heat bulb into the viv if I were to get a hood that covered the entire top. But I found fixtures that would just house the tube itself. I’ll post links to what’s in my cart. I have a infrared gun on the way also

I’m restricted on space right now so this is the only viv I’m able to use for the next 2-3 months
30x12x12

Bulb:
https://www.amazon.com/ReptiSun-5-0-UVB-Fluorescent-Bulb/dp/B004PBB0K4/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=28UY5TBXS03SO&keywords=t8%2Buvb&qid=1556060112&s=gateway&sprefix=t8%2Buvb&sr=8-2&th=1&psc=1

Fixture:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004CT2OTA/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The 5.0 HO you dont want -- you want the 10.0 bulb -- the 5.0 HO I was told is more for tropical reptiles- the Zilla fixture will work fine-- it needs to go inside your tank approx 8-10 inches from his basking spot-- glad to hear you got a infrared coming -- the basking bulb is good as long as its keeping temps 95-105 or so ---
Karrie

Konnor

Original Poster
Thanks for the help Karrie. One last question, does the uvb light need to overlap with the basking bulb? Just trying to figure out how I’m going to position the basking bulb/area once the new uvb fixture is in place.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Most people try to but it does not haft to -- just make sure he is sitting 8-10 inches from the T 8 bulb / or 10-11 for the T 5 bulb -- thats going to take a flat fixture not the regular fixture you can get from petco / petsmart -- if you get the T 5 it can sit on top of the tank --- it sounds like the basking spot is pretty close -- you can always lower your basking spot too so hes not closer than the 8" from the T 8-- you dont want to over UVB him -- you want the fixture that just houses that Reptisun bulb you get
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom