basking light without uv??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
lillee":35nrcvnf said:
thank you all! i wasn’t compeltely aware of the differences between uva/uvb, and can now fix his tank so he has proper heating and lighting. <3

No problemo :)

-Brandon

lillee

Original Poster
any suggestions for a basking light? i’ve been checking various ones - zoomed, Exo Terra, etc - but all have mixed reviews, so not quite sure which to choose. i was thinking of going with something around 150w - if it ends up being too much wattage, i do have a temperature controller so it’ll be fine, and i’ll also be getting a temp gun.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
lillee":aah3stu7 said:
any suggestions for a basking light? i’ve been checking various ones - zoomed, Exo Terra, etc - but all have mixed reviews, so not quite sure which to choose. i was thinking of going with something around 150w - if it ends up being too much wattage, i do have a temperature controller so it’ll be fine, and i’ll also be getting a temp gun.

Can't dim MVBs , so it's a matter of trial and error to get the right globe to basking spot distance to get a basking spot temperature in the range 36 degC to 40 degC.
Only trustworthy brands of MVBs are Zoo Med, Exo Terra and Arcadia Reptile.

A neodymium coated flood globe (these are offered by Zoo Med and Exo Terra) is an option , they produce heat , light & UVA and can be dimmed.

Halogen par38 , incandescent par38 domestic flood globes (colourless) are good option for heat and light only and are dimmable.
For a large viv I don't think a GU10 halogen will cut it.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
kingofnobbys":3edwt8l5 said:
Can't dim MVBs , so it's a matter of trial and error to get the right globe to basking spot distance to get a basking spot temperature in the range 36 degC to 40 degC.
Only trustworthy brands of MVBs are Zoo Med, Exo Terra and Arcadia Reptile.
OP has stated numerous times that she doesnt want to add more UV to the tank (it's even in the title of this thread...), so clearly she isnt going to be getting an mvb so no need to worry about dimming it...

lillee":3edwt8l5 said:

The 150w may or may not be too much. In my 4x2x2s I use 1 50w bulb. When it gets winter I sometimes have to use a 75w but there are tons of factors that come into play. Lots of variables. What works for some wont work for all.

Dimmers are fine to use as long as you are not dimming the bulb too much. You still need your basking bulb to put out a decently bright light. This is to encourage the eyes to dilate which protects the eyes from the uvb bulb. If you dim your basking bulb too much you might not get as much eye dilation as you need. For this reason I dont use dimmers, I just play with wattage until I find what works for me. Like I mentioned earlier, you can also use household bulbs if they meet the criteria, doesnt have to be a speciality brand reptile basking bulb.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom