Ate half a millipede!! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linds

Roma managed to grab half of what I believe is a yellow-banded millipede (they’re EVERYWHERE in FL) and I’m freaking out!! I’ve found all kinds of mixed information about millipedes. I gave him some activated charcoal and he does not have a black beard or anything. It has been over half an hour so far. Any experience with millipedes? I feel so worried :(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't found much info on that type of millipede. Some of them can produce toxins which may be harmful to a dragon. It's good that you were able to provide activated charcoal. Since he's acting OK so far, I'd just keep a very close eye on him looking for odd behavior. If anything seems out of sorts I'd administer another dose of charcoal and get him to a vet.

Linds

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. I couldn’t find much information about any sort of millipede and certainly not specific types. Some places said they’re poisonous and some said it shouldn’t be deadly and depends on the type... I’ve even looked for info on their impact on dogs and cats since that’s more common. It doesn’t seem to be poisonous to them but they’re clearly bigger but I’m working with whatever info I can find. It’s been around an hour now and he is acting normal. I’m just so horrified that this happened!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
When I search, in addition to toxicity/effect on reptiles, I also look for effect on birds since their systems are fairly similar. Closer to eachother than a dog or cat. Sometimes that produces more information. Toxicity tends to work quickly though so if you don't see any ill effects by now, I'd take it as a good sign.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I think it is a good sign you haven't seen any adverse effects yet so you probably wont.
We lived in florida over 10 years & one of our adult male dragons got hold of one so fast
before we could grab it. We literally pried his mouth open & he was not happy about it at
all & my poor husband had a huge gash on his hand trying to get it out of his mouth! I
know he got a couple of bites but he luckily ended up being alright. I did panic though &
some are deadly but luckily that one was not.
You could make a detox greens slurry out of parsley, cilantro, mint, basil & oregano or
some activated charcoal just to clean out his system, if needed.

Tracie

Linds

Original Poster
Thank you for your input, both of you!
To update in case anyone else has this happen, Roma is just fine and has been his usual self all day. It seems that the yellow-banded millipede is either harmless or the charcoal I administered within 15mins helped with any potential toxins. I’m so relieved! He’s due for a fecal in 2 weeks to see if we got rid of the coccidia we’ve been dealing with so I’ll see then if he picked up anything new from this incident.
Those millipedes are EVERYWHERE in south Florida! I keep an eye on him but he’s so quick. This one was in a mulchy area and I didn’t even notice it until it was too late.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh ok! Great job with the quick charcoal dosing then, that definitely helped out with any type
of poisoning for him. It is important to get it given immediately as you did! :D
I'm glad that Roma is doing perfectly fine then. You are exactly right, there are millipedes all over
Florida, especially south Florida.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom