New to Builiding a diy enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be the best materials to use to build a 4'2'2 feet enclosure with front glass sliding doors. I was thinking about using melamine coated wood foor the front back and sides and making a screen top, would this be a Good option. Also any tips on the actual construction of then tank would be very helpful.
Thanks in advanced, Kassie.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Melamine is very heavy so take that into consideration if you need to move it around at all. The advantage is the melamine coating which is waterproof. I'd probably use nice plywood to build the sides with some 2x2 pieces for the frame. That would be a bit lighter. Then just seal the plywood with a couple of polyurethane coats or paint. You can have a mesh top if you want or you could build light fixtures into the top and put vents on the sides. A vent low on the cool side and high on the warm side should do the trick and allow for optimal airflow.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
You might also consider re-purposing a bookshelf or china cabinet instead of building from scratch. I did that for my adult with a built-in bookshelf & it worked out well for the most part. The only thing I'd change if I were doing it over is I would have used less screen & more plexiglas because I had trouble keeping it warm enough in the beginning. I eventually figured something out, but I could have saved myself some trouble by having a bit less ventilation.

100140-51854505.jpg
100140-1486974936.jpg
100140-2122807103.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom