Petco bearded dragons

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Petco bearded dragons

Postby Lexylexyy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:41 am

I purchased my beardie at Petco ( I KNOW I KNOW TERRIBLE) :( I didn’t realize it was until 2 weeks in!

Since I bought mine at petco, he’s 9 inches long now, should I treat him for parasites? Or only when necessary?
Lexylexyy
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Petco bearded dragons

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:51 am

First you need to take a fecal into your reptile vet --- but I would not do that until you have had him for a while longer --- wait for the relocation stress to go away and for him to get used to his surroundings --- its good to establish repore w/ your vet before he gets sick so having him in for a checkup is good that way they can get to know him before hes ill---- you said you got him at Petco--- what kind of set up did they set you up w/ ? Can you post pics of your tank and lighting please
Karrie
KarrieRee
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby Lexylexyy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:23 am

Hi karrie! I did all my research and this is his current set up. I’m currently waiting for his hide log to come in the mail so I can put it on the cool right side! I’m using 36 inch t5 ho tube light by zoo med, and he’s in a 55 gallon tank. For his basking spot, I’m using zoo med 150 watt basking bulb!

Lexylexyy
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:42 am

Cudos to you--:)-- thank goodness-- little dude is in good hands then-- most people that get dragons from Petco PetSmart end up w/ alot of improper equipment set up etc....his tank looks good
Karrie
KarrieRee
Gray-bearded Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Lexylexyy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:55 am

KarrieRee wrote:Cudos to you--:)-- thank goodness-- little dude is in good hands then-- most people that get dragons from Petco PetSmart end up w/ alot of improper equipment set up etc....his tank looks good
Karrie

Thank you! And one last question, how do I know when he’s fully used to his environment??
Lexylexyy
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:03 am

His stress marks will have subsided-- those are the black lines he has on his body-- you will notice a difference in his color
Karrie
KarrieRee
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby AHBD » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:50 pm

Good job on the set up. :) And just because he's from Petco does not mean he's any more prone to having parasites, even top breeders will have dragons that pick them up. Don't take a baby for a fecal test when they are not showing signs of ill health, wait until he's bigger + can handle any prescribed meds.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby Lexylexyy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:08 pm

AHBD wrote:Good job on the set up. :) And just because he's from Petco does not mean he's any more prone to having parasites, even top breeders will have dragons that pick them up. Don't take a baby for a fecal test when they are not showing signs of ill health, wait until he's bigger + can handle any prescribed meds.

Thank you so Much! I want to make sure the little guy is taken good care of 😭
Lexylexyy
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Health