crickets keep escaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon4wolfgirl

Hatchling Member
me and my dad made this enclose and when I feed my lizard crickets and I don't make sure he ate all of them they escape through a tiny crack where the door hinges are. if the crickets keep escaping im going to have to get rid of my lizard :banghead: ! any ideas on sealing that crack?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Crickets should not be kept in the same enclosure w/ the bearded dragon--- they bite and and can cause infections from the bite- if you want to feed crickets I would suggest you get a cricket keeper -- the easiest feeder are dubia roaches -- they dont stink they dont bite they dont fly and can be kept in a 10 gallon aquarium- feed them carrots apples squash - they love squash -- you can order them from Amazon.com suppliers offer free shipping- 200 large dubias cost around $40
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I feed my skinks and dragons in their enclosures & tub , and sometime a really speedy cricket gets away and hides (to come out after the lights go out).
That's the time to recover these little rogues , or simply do what I have been doing for a long time, leave the salad in the tank/tub overnight, the crickets are going to go to that every time to have a nibble and get hydrated, and will likely be discovered there or nearby by the lizard when it wakes up / warms up and discovers its hungry. Result, very rarely any rogue crickets from the previous day still alive when I get up (and usually the salad is nearly all gone).

Never had a lizard present next day with an insect bite on it.

Regarding rogue crickets in the house - I regularly loose a few when my bulk order arrives while I'm transferring them to keepers holding 80 - 100 crickets each , and when I'm refreshing the carrot chunks and topping up the pellets, and when I'm checking for dead or sick crickets and collecting those that are due for use in a meal.
Often they disappear before I can recatch them, showing up that night or over then few days at night and crawling about on the floor, those are the few that resident wild house skink doesn't catch and eat ( we usually have a wild eastern water skink in residence in the warmer months who is great house pest controller , cricket catcher and spider catcher and eats all the insects she catches - only evidence she leaves is an occasion wing or leg on the carpet or lino floor. She is also great mouser ( when she's in residence the house mice vanish either because they sense a predator is present or she follows them to their nests and eat's their babies (she can do this because she can go anywhere they can and so they can't elude her by hiding under / behind cabinetry or in walls.).
Having a few rogue crickets in the house is a given if you are using crickets as feeder. They are no issue and wont infest the house like roaches will if they escape.
I quite like the sound crickets churping too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom