Beardie feces

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc555

Hi my beardie is a male and about a year and a month old now, hes just come up of a “brumation” like state he only exhibited for about a month where he wouldn’t come out in the light and just stay in the shade and he would eat still but it was tougher to get him to, he pooped normally and all seemed normal. However now he is normal and very active again, he hasn’t ate in 3 days now and i can tell he dosent want to eat because if i put food near him he closes his eyes to indicate no. Im not very concerned at the moment he is very active hes running around everywhere, but something i noticed that was different rather than pooping every 3-6 days, hes pooping everyday and they are very small clumps which he has never done before, and my q is what could this mean? Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Does it look different from before? Hes not eating much or not at all? His metabolism may not have caught up w/ him yet meaning its still slow --- have you weighed him or can you weigh him -- I would get a weight on him and keep up w/ it if his eating does not pick up--- you dont want him to start losing weight because then there may be other issues going on and thats when he would need to go into the reptile vet--- but for now watch his behavior --- another thing what kind of UVB do you have in his tank ? Their lighting plays a huge roll in their eating and over all behavior not to mention their health--
Karrie

jc555

Original Poster
He dosent look different. However he is due for a UVB light change, its been in use for his entire 13 month life i think i should probably replace that. Its a powersun 160W UVB.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Uh hmmmm I am not familiar w/ the PowerSun UVB --- at all!!!! I just know this is what is recommended on the forum ---
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
Others on here can give you some advice on that Power Sun bulb---- it is a bulb correct ? that could be the reason for the different poop--- is he eating normal diet like leafy greens and bugs ? What else are you feeding him? His behavior is different from what I read -- that has a lot to do w/ the UVB--- like I said I am not familiar w/ the Power Sun --- I am hoping others on here can weigh in on this and give advice on it--- If its an ok UVB I wouldnt want you to go buy a whole new set up but if its not then I would recommend it and also if it is an ok UVB you probably do need to change it ---
Karrie

jc555

Original Poster
https://zoomed.com/powersun-uv/
Theres the link if you or anyone else viewing this thread wants to check it out. I offer collard greens every day he eats them probably every 2-4 days though (to my knowledge, could be less) i feed him crickets every other day now.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would start offering a variety of greens ------- mustard turnip green beans squash yellow or zucchini fruit strawberries blueberries apple banana grapes NO Citrus-- there is a link on the feeding board you can check it out -- dandelions are coming back into season --- they can eat the yellow flower and leaves NO stems and most beardies love them--- if you pick them fresh make sure they are not sprayed! As far as the UVB I would suggest changing it out to what I had posted before --- I think the combo heat/ UVB are not that good --- its best to have them separate-- there is a reason but I cant remember what it was --- another basking bulb like the Exo Terro or even a household bulb would work but that would be trial and error w/ that -- do you have a infrared heat gun to get basking temps ?
Karrie

jc555

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice, i do not have a infared heat gun however when i initially set his environment up i used a zoomed thermometer with a sensor at the end and it read i believe about 109-115 ish, however i can check again when i get home. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom