Stunted Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rggrey33

Hello, I got my bearded dragon a couple years ago, so that would make him about 2 1/2 years old. I was not consistent with feedings and lacked any knowledge about these cuties at all. He seems very stunted considering it looks about he is 13-14 inches, he is really skin, I am 100% sure that he does not have MBD. My aunt says bugs are only occasionaly to be bought for him (1 time a week). I give him carrots occasionaly and butternut squash. My big question is can he become normal sized? Or am I just gonna have to appreciate him being his small self? :?:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First of all how big is the tank ? And what kind of lighting do you have in the tank? Please post pics of his his tank and lighting and him and we can better help w/ him and let you know-- go to user image uploader at the top of this page--- down load pics --- click on reply-- at top of message box click on XIMG - pics should post - wait for page to refresh and check your message to see if pics posted
Karrie

Rggrey33

Original Poster
104167-5988704697.jpg

His tank is a 40 gallon and his heating bulb is a 100 watt basking bulb, and he has two UVB’s. I think they are 75 watt. They both rest upon the mesh top.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok you might think about upgrading his tank but his UVB is the culprit-- he needs this type - this what we recommend on the forum -- basking bulb is good as long as his temps are 95-100 but UVB -- a reptisun 10.0 T5 or T 8-- they are a long tube bulb--- it is crucial to his over all health and behavior-- the T 5 requires a flat fixture and usually the pet stores don't carry them -- the T 8 is a regular fixture and can be bought at Petco PetSmart-- the difference between the 2 is one is a stronger bulb - the T 5 and needs to be changed out once a yr-- the T 8 needs to be changed out twice a year--- now depending on the screen on tank if it's wide hole the T 5 can go on top if it's fine it needs to go inside approx 10-11 inches from basking spot-- the T8 needs to go inside approx 8-10 inches from basking-- I know I just sent info overload but please you only need one of those type if UVB--
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Rggrey33":2g3q0la5 said:
My big question is can he become normal sized? Or am I just gonna have to appreciate him being his small self? :?:
To answer your question, it's hard to say. He most likely will grow slightly... but it's very unlikely that he would ever grow into his full potential. I've seen stunted dragons grow to a full size, but 2 years is starting to push it.

At this point though, the concern shouldn't be about getting him to grow or getting him fat or getting him bigger. The concern should be getting him healthy.

There is no point in feeding him crap and getting a 20 inch dragon that is unhealthy. You are much better off with a stunted dragon who is healthy. So don't make your goal to be getting him fattened up. Feed him a proper diet, and keep his health as the priority.

Carrots are not an acceptable salad. Butternut squash is ok, but that hardly constitutes a healthy salad either. I highly suggest you take a look at this site:
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Give him a variety of staple greens and vegies DAILY. You can throw in some of the other items that aren't labeled as staples every so often for variety, but the bulk of his nutrition needs to be in the form of proper varied salads.

Bugs can be offered 3 or so times per week, not once. A young growing dragon would very easily eat large meals of bugs twice a day... but with your dragons age, i would suggest feeding him as an adult.

Remember, get him healthy. If he grows, that is just an added benefit.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
KarrieRee":n8f1atjr said:
Ok you might think about upgrading his tank but his UVB is the culprit
I do agree the UVB should be changed to a proper one to give this dragon all the help it needs, but honestly, the real culprit is the inconsistent and improper feedings.

Rggrey33":n8f1atjr said:
I was not consistent with feedings and lacked any knowledge about these cuties at all. My aunt says bugs are only occasionaly to be bought for him (1 time a week). I give him carrots occasionaly and butternut squash.
But the good thing is you're trying now. Dragons are very hardy creatures for the most part. Just provide proper husbandry, and a proper diet, and they will do well. You are on the right track.

-Brandon

Rggrey33

Original Poster
Wow! I really appreciate all of this help so fast! I will definitely work on the UVB soon! I definitely will be changing the diet now that I know, and feedings will be proper! Thank you all so much!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so Brandon beat me to the diet but yes you need proper diet as well and that new UVB is going to make those nutrients work ---- if you decide to upgrade his tank you will notice he will start to grow even more --- alot people say it doesnt effect their growth size but I think different and say it does -- my previous beardie was in a 20 gallon tank when we got her and she was way older -- we moved her to a 50 gallon tank and she grew another 2" after that--- letting them out helps as well ----
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom