Hello! Newbie and getting my first beardie tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
When I first brought Tampico home, I waited a week to hold her and she was super calm. As far as bonding goes, in my experience with Tampi, I would put her on my chest when she fell asleep... Then I realized she'd wake whenever I'd take her off to put her in the tank, so I then put her on a little towel on my chest and wrapped her in a little burrito when I'd put her back in her tank to sleep. I still burrito wrap her, and she absolutely loves it.

Love the name "Popcorn" by the way!

Aquilist

Original Poster
vrenee1018":vc222him said:
When I first brought Tampico home, I waited a week to hold her and she was super calm. As far as bonding goes, in my experience with Tampi, I would put her on my chest when she fell asleep... Then I realized she'd wake whenever I'd take her off to put her in the tank, so I then put her on a little towel on my chest and wrapped her in a little burrito when I'd put her back in her tank to sleep. I still burrito wrap her, and she absolutely loves it.

Aww, that's so cute! Yeah, I'm not planning on holding her for quite a while, just getting her used to my hand.

Aquilist

Original Poster
vrenee1018":1tjxzi8n said:

Aww, that's so cute! Yeah, I'm not planning on holding her for quite a while, just getting her used to my hand.

Aquilist

Original Poster
So, Popcorn is shedding (yay!)
I plan on giving her a bath tomorrow, to assist in any shedding. I won't pull it off though, don't worry.

Aquilist

Original Poster
Popcorn hasn't had as much of an appetite. The first two days, he was eating every cricket he saw, but now, he doesn't seem as interested. He's still very active and loves basking. He's pooping fine now, up to 3 times a day! His stress marks are still there, although are significantly lighter.
I think it might be the relocation stress?
How can I get him to eat? He won't take anything from my hand, it's too scary for him.
What should I do, he isn't touching his salad either?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
i doubt there is anything wrong -- he/ she is adjusting to the new home--- he / she will start eating again just continue to try and feed and hand feed -- keep offering the salads too --
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Aquilist":5sonfou8 said:
Popcorn hasn't had as much of an appetite. The first two days, he was eating every cricket he saw, but now, he doesn't seem as interested. He's still very active and loves basking. He's pooping fine now, up to 3 times a day! His stress marks are still there, although are significantly lighter.
How can I get him to eat? He won't take anything from my hand, it's too scary for him.

Remember that's what I said would happen. They usually eat fine the first day, sometimes the first two. Then the appetite drops from the stress.

I was happy if Tombo would take 2 or 3 worms a day at first. The appetite will build back up. Just keep a salad in their daily, and offer insects two or three times a day, even if he doesn't eat them.

-Brandon

Aquilist

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2s6j28dc said:
i doubt there is anything wrong -- he/ she is adjusting to the new home--- he / she will start eating again just continue to try and feed and hand feed -- keep offering the salads too --
Karrie
Ok Thank you! Will do.

Aquilist

Original Poster
claudiusx":2nf0fmdo said:
Aquilist":2nf0fmdo said:

Remember that's what I said would happen. They usually eat fine the first day, sometimes the first two. Then the appetite drops from the stress.

I was happy if Tombo would take 2 or 3 worms a day at first. The appetite will build back up. Just keep a salad in their daily, and offer insects two or three times a day, even if he doesn't eat them.

-Brandon
Thanks! How long does it generally take them to realise that the salad is food? He was never offered it at the reptile store.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
His main diet is bugs---- all you can do is offer it -- he may or may not eat it-- he will need his bugs up until hes about a year old or so then the diet will switch to vegies but for now offer him his main bugs and the salad too---- but its nice to get them introduced to it young and hes not over whelmed when all of a sudden hes getting more salad and less bugs for feeding time-- and dusting those bugs at each feeding as well ---- with the D3 5 x per week and vitamins -- he needs vitamins 2 x per week
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Aquilist":29ggma08 said:
Thanks! How long does it generally take them to realise that the salad is food? He was never offered it at the reptile store.

Each dragon is different. For instance, Moro who is less than 2 months old, will eat her whole salad every day. Tombo who is double her size and almost double her age, will usually let his salad go dry. The key is to just always have it offered for them to eat. A lot of times they will take a bite or two throughout the day and you won't notice that any have been eaten. But, they won't eat any at all if it's not in there for them :mrgreen:

-Brandon

Aquilist

Original Poster
Alrighty, update time! So, My family stayed at a family friends place for easter/easter night. Because of this, we weren't home for around 30 hours. What I did was this:
I fed him crickets right before we left. He's back to eating well. For the first time, he took two crickets from my hand! :blob5:
I guess he was pretty hungry after not eating for a few days.
The UVB and Heat lamp is on a timer, so no problems there.
I left a salad in his tank for the time I was away, in case he got hungry. It doesn't look like he ate anything.
So, I got an hour or so back, and fed him some crickets. Again, he took a few from my hand! He still hisses at it, until he realises I'm holding food. He ate around 15 crickets.
I also made a new salad.
I tried offering him some salad, and he ate two small leaves from my hand! First time eating salad :-D
His eyes also looked a tiny bit sunken, so I gave him a small spritz of water, as I'm not yet confident enough to handle him in a bath because I can't hold him yet.
He's now bathing in the heat until lights out in around a 1/2 hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom