Moving from US to Spain??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martadragon017

Hatchling Member
Recently my parents decided that we might be moving to Spain next year. I have done as much research as I could and I know that you can take reptiles from the US to Spain, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with moving to a different country with reptiles. Since I was unable to find any airlines that took reptiles on board, I decided that the best course of action would be to try and find reptile shipping like that used to transport my beardie to me from the breeder when I first got her, but on the instructions on bringing a reptile to Spain it said that the reptile had to be "accompanied by it's owner of the owner's representative". If anyone has ever moved with a reptile, I was wondering if that means that the reptile had to be with me like in the travel bag I'm carrying, or if that just meant that the reptile couldn't just be shipped of to Spain alone and that I also had to come there. At first I assumed that it was the first, but as far as I can tell, that wouldn't be very possible since my Marta can't go on the plane with me. Also, if you have any suggestions on moving with her, (terrarium, lights, food, setup, etc.) please let me know! Thank you!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow what a huge move with your dragon!
I know that not all, if many airlines allow reptiles on board. There may be a specific flying
service for reptiles & exotics but I am not positive right now. I would definitely start now &
begin doing research, making calls, writing letters, emails, etc to ensure that you have all
of the correct information, forms, etc.
You will most likely need a CITES form & for it to be signed & stamped by the embassy in
Spain. I have never done this, but I know they are not on an endangered species list so since
they are allowed for import, the main thing is to have all of your forms completed. You may
have to undergo a quarantine period for your dragon but you will need to check on that as
well.

Good luck.
Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I am not entirely sure of rules regarding imports of reptiles into Spain, but read somewhere that bearded dragons are restrictive because if they get into the wild , they are known to colonise in the warmer parts of Spain so categorized as invasive , I also read that there are now wild bearded dragons in some parts of Spain who are the result of escapes and people dumping unwanted pet bearded dragons.

I expect your dragon will need to spend a period in quarantine if you are allowed to ship him from USA to Spain. There are reptile deseases endemic in the USA that are not so in Spain. I expect if you are allowed to import him , you and he will have to travel separately (he'll go cargo) and you'll have to collect him from a quarantine facility after he's served his time.

Your homework also should involve sourcing live feeder insects locally in Spain, I believe from prior posts here by Spanish keepers that this is difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom