Ideas for the human to use dragon veg foods as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
The idea for this post is how the human can also use the staple and other vegetable foods so that less food waste occurs. This is because I have one bearded dragon, vegetables in the grocery store are sold in human family size packaging, and personally I get limited by what is available due to winter. Basing what the most recommended vegetables are from this: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutritionframeset.html could we all brainstorm what a human is supposed to do to use up these vegetables?

Example vegetables I would like help with for how the human can help use the product.

Mustard Greens
Endive
Escarole
Dandelion Greens
Collard Greens
Alfalfa plant/greens
Turnip Greens
Squash (acorn, butternut, hubbard, scallop, spaghetti, summer)

All I know how to do with these is bake squash then add butter. Dandelion greens, just add to any salad, use honey mustard sauce? I don't know.

I have no other humans or critters who will eat these with me and Devlyn. If I can help eat these with my dragon it will give her more variety all the time.

Looking around at websites for ideas can get confusing, and bloggers do not take into account how to share food with a bearded dragon. From what I gather collard, turnip, and mustard greens are usually slow cooked in a liquid and squash is usually baked.

Martadragon017

Hatchling Member
Another thing that you can use dandelions for is tea, I remember making it was I was younger, you can look up recipes for it but we just dried the leaves and then made tea with them. It was a little bitter but I've read that it can supposedly be quite healthy! I hope this helps! :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I keep turnip greens and collard greens in the fridge crisper for a week or so --- Hiccup is the only one that eats that stuff --- squash (yellow and zuchinni) I cook on the stove saute it in butter w/ onions --- it too is kept in the crisper w/ his food and his is sliced fresh and cut into pieces-- dandelions are picked out of my back yard when they are in season -- green beans are fresh and kept in crisper and last about as long as everything else --- the greens here are bought in bunches and cost around $1 / bunch --- you need to find a grocery store that carries stuff like that instead of packages that probably cost more --- the other stuff I dont buy--- you can always feed gr pepper but I dont think that can be used as a staple--- celery as well -- cucumber -- that stuff is always in my house as I cook w/ it--
some others on here have ideas about how they keep their vegies for their beardies
Karrie

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I keep stuff in the crisper as well, about a week. What I meant by package Karrie is that the grocery section has pre-bundled fresh greens. Stores like Cub Foods, Whole Foods, or smaller time grocery stores in the midwest USA. I can't pick out a few leaves, a small bundle is still a lot of leaves. Not worried about cost, just hard for me to use the rest after my dragon gets green variety every day.

I like the idea of sautee onions and then add something like yellow squash. My normal human leafy vegetables are kale and spanish, but I only offer a little kale to Devlyn (once a week) because she likes kale. I rarely cook leafy vegetables but the dragon friendly ones aren't appetizing as raw for people. Bitter and such.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I just buy them by the bunch --- so its not a big deal if he doesnt eat the whole thing - I am only paying $1 for a bunch and he eats alot of it before its gone-- I know you cant freeze them I think they become mush after thawing out -- you can always give him frozen peas and thaw them out -- carrots keep for awhile as well --
Karrie

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
I eat my Tampico's food as well, or as much as I can of it without depriving her and before it goes to waste. I put the following in my salad: Mustard Greens, Endive, Escarole, and Dandelion Greens. They have a peppery taste and they're great to mix with a bit of spinach. I also add Mustard Greens to my ramen. Collard greens are just great to sautee with some pepper flakes and beer (Mmmmmmmm). Haha I think you can use Alfalfa as tea or fry them up and have as a side to your meal. I'm sure if you Pinterest some of the foods you'll find great ideas too. But I think if you buy most of them in family size mixed together, I think salad and sauteeing (spell?) would be your best route. And not to mention, a healthy one too :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I say that if the greens are good enough for our precious dragons then they are good enough
for us! LOL

Great post for discussion. :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom