Dragon eggs need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffWright

I had a Male bearded dragon and had him for a few years. I ended up getting a femail which is half sun burst dragon. They ended up mating and she laid her eggs almost a week ago. She laid 16 and 5 collapsed is the collapsed ones mean they are dead? Also they are brown, are they suppose to be brown? A few of them have hardened. I made an incubator due to the one i ordered a few weeks ago being back ordered and the eggs came before the incubator, and which I'm suppose to be getting the incubator on Friday. But what I need to know is it normal for the eggs to be brown? Also a few eggs have an ooze on them, is that normal? Someone please help!!!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it does sound like they've all gone bad. Can you post pics of them and describe exactly how you got them [ in what condition ] and how you have them set up including temps. ?

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hello.

So, first of all, are you housing the two of them together? The way you say "they ended up mating" makes me think it wasn't intentional on your part, and if you have them co-housed you should really get a second setup made and keep them separate. It's far better for both of their healths, but particularly the female. If left un-regulated, they will mate frequently enough that it will have a drastic negative effect on the female's health and lifespan. :-(

The collapsed ones are probably dead, but they're almost definitely in trouble if they aren't dead. Likely they need a more humid environment if they are alive, or at least that's what "collapsed" snake eggs normally need.

As far as I know, the eggs should not be brown. This is not encouraging.

The ooze is not normal either, as far as I know.

I am not a reptile breeder (yet), and I hope someone with more experience replies. Honestly, though, this doesn't sound good to me... Can you maybe post a pic or two of the eggs?

Also mama might have a second clutch in her, I would suggest doing a ton of research to prepare for that if she does.

Best of luck,
-Ellentomologist

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I have 20 + years of experience with beardie eggs Ellen, no worries about someone with experience replying. :) I do need pics + the info I asked for though.

JeffWright

Original Poster
I didnt have them housed together they have their own separate tanks. She ended up laying the eggs in the water bowl barely any water in the bowl. She laid then early and unexpected. I made a homemade incubator with temps that stayed constant 80° and humidity was at 75%. Had a Tupperware with moist vermiculite in it. The eggs have constantly been brown. Started with 16 eggs and now down to 3 due to all collapsing. I do have an actual incubator coming tomorrow but I'm afraid all eggs are dead. I did candle them and all 16 had life but then collapsed. I will post pictures when I get home

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If they were laid in even a small amount of water it would kill/drown them. If you suspect a few are still good, post a few pics of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom