Hello! Newbie and getting my first beardie tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquilist

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2fef2u6q said:
Popcorn is a cute name! Everything you said sounds great -- let him adjust especially put your hand in the tank and let him get used to it being there -- it may take awhile for him to adjust but just be patient-- he is so cute --- and yes hand feed him by all means that is one way for him to get used to you and your smell --- he will eventually come around but hes little and he needs a little time to adjust--- hiccup was the same way -- he would hiss and run he was around 3 months old -- but I just ignored him and did my thing cleaning his tank and feeding him his roaches - I hand fed him a couple of time -- we held him as well and he squirmed but he eventually got over it---
Karrie
Sounds good!
How long until you started holding him?
I think I'll wait until he seems comfortable with my presence, has taken food from me a few times, and lets me touch him.
Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It wasnt long maybe a few days --- I didnt hold him long as he did a lot of squirming ---
Karrie

Aquilist

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2alp2758 said:
It wasnt long maybe a few days --- I didnt hold him long as he did a lot of squirming ---
Karrie
Perfect! I'll start putting my hand in the enclosure tonight!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I like to wait keeping the handling to a minimum for the first week. From there depending on if the dragon is improving appetite wise, i'll start interacting.

There is no science, no right or wrong way, it's just my own thinking and methods I've used personally over the years.

-Brandon

Aquilist

Original Poster
claudiusx":3l4pqxtj said:
I like to wait keeping the handling to a minimum for the first week. From there depending on if the dragon is improving appetite wise, i'll start interacting.

There is no science, no right or wrong way, it's just my own thinking and methods I've used personally over the years.

-Brandon
I see. From the first feeding, Popcorn has been eating like a champ.
Should I still wait it out a few days? I don't want to stress him out.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The relocation stress usually kicks in on day 2 or 3. First feeding usually goes good IME. But, not all dragons will go through relocation stress. I had a friend in this hobby who swore relocation stress was a myth and that if your husbandry was proper you wouldn't see any relocation stress, or very minimal. And sure enough, none of his dragons seemed to go through it like the rest of ours. He never told me his secret, maybe it was the confidence he was putting off. :study: :mrgreen:

-Brandon

Aquilist

Original Poster
claudiusx":2v4umdp8 said:
The relocation stress usually kicks in on day 2 or 3. First feeding usually goes good IME. But, not all dragons will go through relocation stress. I had a friend in this hobby who swore relocation stress was a myth and that if your husbandry was proper you wouldn't see any relocation stress, or very minimal. And sure enough, none of his dragons seemed to go through it like the rest of ours. He never told me his secret, maybe it was the confidence he was putting off. :study: :mrgreen:

-Brandon
I had no idea, I thought it would be instant. Learn something new every day eh?
I do think Popcorn may be a little bit stressed, his belly is showing pretty dark stress marks.
However, he ate crickets again this morning but didn't touch the salad haha.
I'm currently sitting outside his tank right now, and his right up at the window looking at me :lol:
I think I will wait a few days until the stress marks go away.
Here's a blurry pic of the stress marks.
104125-5431666239.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah he does have some pretty dark stress marks but they should subside. It's great that he is eating, that's half the battle!

-Brandon

Aquilist

Original Poster
claudiusx":23i9qh7n said:
Yeah he does have some pretty dark stress marks but they should subside. It's great that he is eating, that's half the battle!

-Brandon
Second night, still hungry!
I have a few crickets this morning, on top of a salad. Doesn't look like he ate much of the salad at the end of the day, however, a few leaves were outside the bowl. He devoured the crickets.
It's now 8 pm and I'm currently feeding him.
He loves seeing the crickets and rushing as fast as his little legs will carry him to them. Still eating like a champ.
The stress marks are still there, though significantly lighter. I'm gonna wait until tomorrow, I have the entire day home to monitor him (it's school holidays :D ) If he seems to have calmed down, I'll start getting him accustomed to my hand in the tank.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not really--- stress related I am sure --- as long as its going in eventually it will come out :D
Karrie

Aquilist

Original Poster
KarrieRee":dc3kvcvy said:
Not really--- stress related I am sure --- as long as its going in eventually it will come out :D
Karrie
Phew. How long should I wait until I should start getting worried?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not sure --- i know he is a baby but just give it some time - maybe a week then we can go from there
Karrie

Aquilist

Original Poster
Well, overnight Popcorn pooped.
Looked healthy, definite two parts, not overly watery, etc.

It was incredibly cute last night after I turned the heat lamp off.
Popcorn discovered the heat mat on the side of the tank, which I turn on at night.
He went to sleep with his bellied pressed up against it, so he was standing up :lol:
Incredibly cute.
I have the entire day at home today, so I'm planning on getting a bit of bonding done. Just small stuff for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom