Is my baby beardie dehydrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
full

I heard wrinkled skin can be a sign of dehydration , is he dehydrated?
And also,I've been wondering if he's actually a leatherback or not, the pet store I got him from said he was.
And will he be a full orange color when adult?
I have more pictures

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He doesnt look well at all -- I would start w/ putting him a warm bath and drip water on his nose to see if he will drink -- next pet store ? Please post pics of his tank and lighting --- there could be other things going on here as well dont let him over due it if he starts drinking -- take it slow --
Karrie

Colbycheese

Original Poster
full

He is in an 80 gal tank that has been turned into a terrarium (once aquarium, which is why theres still a filter, was superglued)
His heat lamp is Zoo med repti basking bulb, 100 watt and hes 6-7" close, with the options to be higher or lower with his branches.
Uvb is reptisun 10.0 36" i believe, can double check later. He does have a night bulb which is at the opposite side of his tank. I make sure he has his water clean every day, and i havent taken him out today since he has his stress stripes :(
I dont know if taking him out again for a bath would just stress him out more...
I'm going to get a background that covers the 3 sides of the tank, as well as reptile carpet which i get tomorrow..
And also, he does like to climb around but is a bit clumsy, not sure if thats bad..

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I would lower him and that basking bulb so when he jumps he doesnt hurt him self since you said he is clumsy---- night time bulb? what is that a CHE? w/ no light? Its possible hes a leatherback but would need better pics of his back and sides so we can look at the spines -- how are you taking basking temps? I dont see any type of thermometer in tank -- I would recommend a digital probe put on your cools side of tank -- you need temps of 100-110 for a baby -- and that should be taken w/ a infrared heat gun from Walmart or Home Depot or Lowes for accurate basking temps-- and getting temps around the tank --- temp should be no lower than 65 at night and 80's during the day --- you can get some non adhesive shelf liner w/ texture for non slippage or slated ceramic tile for your tank that would need to be cut to tank size --- can be bought from Home Depot or Lowes and its a lot cheaper and easier to clean that reptile carpet --- clean w/ vinegar / water in a spray bottle mixed 50/50--- but for now - How long have you had him ---?
Karrie

Colbycheese

Original Poster
Right now I am using a blue night bulb, since I read red ones are dangerous and maybe the blue ones are too.

Last night he slept under his hide so I thought it would be ok if it was blue.
I use a temp gun to take temps, I'll tell you temps in a minute. I've had Colby since last Sunday .. the 14th. He has jumped at his thermometer and his reflection from his branch so I worried he hit his little head that might be the reason he couldn't climb as well as he could when I just got him. He sort of would start climbing, and misplace his feet and fall over onto the paper towel on his back, but get right back up immediately after. I haven't seen him do it today, since he's just been basking after running from his hide to his branches, which I didnt see either.

He hasn't eaten greens yet, which I thought was normal since he's just a baby, about 6 inches.
He eats 2-4 crickets a day right now.. I find it hard to imagine him eating 20-60 every day at this age, but apparently thats possible. Tomorrow I'm getting 200 smaller crickets than what I have so maybe he'll eat a bit more. He's my first beardie and I sort of regret getting him at a place like Petsmart. I know it's not recommended to buy reptiles from them but he was just the sweetest when he was at the store. I dont know if he was this bad when they had him or maybe I did something wrong and I feel bad for Colby. :(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hes got relocation stress-- try putting some water on his nose w/a dropper or your finger and see if he will lick it -- and lower the basking area so hes not jumping --- and PLEASE get rid of the blue bulb--- it hurts their eyes and can cause long term damage --- get a infrared temp gun and get your temps in the tank -- you may not need a CHE ---basking temp should be around 100-110 for him --- cool side of tank during the day 80's and no lower than 65 at nite -- lights should be on 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off -- what kind of UVB do you have in the tank and is it on top of screen or in tank itself?
Karrie

Colbycheese

Original Poster
full

24" 10.0 tube uvb bulb.
I'll keep his night lamp off for tonight, last time i did he ran around the entire tank looking for heat and eventually fell asleep. His temps go from 90 to around 110 on his warm side, and around 80 on his cool side. Should i take him out for a bath? To avoid the water getting cold so quickly, my window has sun through it right now, would it be ok to put his bath container in the sun so it stays warm?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No if he is still stressing I would not bathe him but drop water on his nose and see if he drinks - have you seen him in his water dish either sitting or drinking? I would make sure your gut loading his bugs so when he eats hes getting hydration from them and if hes eating greens at all wash them before you serve them -- he will get water from them as well --- how long have you had him? How are you taking temps in the tank?
Karrie

Colbycheese

Original Poster
Im taking temps with temp gun, and ive had him since the 14th so about 4 days. I'll try to drop some water for him.
full

Ive never seen him drink from the dish but i have seen hin sit in it for a minute once. He has drinked when i bathed him a few days ago, though

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so someone else needs to look at him from the forum--- he cant be that dehydrated if he did drink --- how is his pooping going? Does it look dried out ? Is their white urate w/ the dark poop?
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good to hear that he's drinking and yes, he's a pretty lil leatherback. :) If he's new he's probably stressed so that can last a while. How's he eating ?

Colbycheese

Original Poster
Sorry late reply!! He's doing great now! Eating around 20 crix a day and I give him 1/4 of a blueberry every now and then. I offer him greens every day (which of course he doesn't like, but he did lick a mustard green).

He's such a sweet little guy :D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Glad to hear-- did you get rid of the blue bulb? The UVB you have is a good one!:)
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom