Upper Respiratory Infection or am I just paranoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ammo

Hello!
Real quick some info about my husbandry. Basking spot is around 110 degrees at the hottest point, with surrounding areas between 100-110. Temperatures taper off to the mid 70s at the coolest end. She is a rescue silkie, and as she is in shed right now so she is receiving daily baths to help her out with the process. I keep the humidity no higher than 45%, but I have to keep it a bit more on the humid side than what is normal for a beardy or else her skin issues worsen.
That being said, recently I have noticed that when I take her out of the bath she occasionally makes some hissing/wheezing sounds. I can't tell if it is something I should be worried about or if its just related to water getting into her respiratory system from all of her splashing around or from her being upset at me (life would be so much easier if she actually LIKED her baths). I do not hear these sounds any other time except directly after a bath. She also is acting and eating normally. However, I have noticed that her saliva is a little sticky, but I don't know if it's any stickier than normal and if I'm just over thinking it or not. Should I be concerned enough to take her to the vet? Or just keep an eye on it?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds more like she is reacting to the bath rather than having a respiratory problem. You can keep the humidity a bit higher if you'd like. Up to 60% or so is fine.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it sounds like a behavioral type of issue. They are terrible when they have temper
tantrums & will really act out. If these episodes only happen after her bath I would definitely
relate that to her not being happy with her baths.
Plus, if she isn't exhibiting any respiratory distress symptoms I would worry too much about
her having a respiratory infection.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom