Calcium and D3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I was wondering how much calcium and D3 would be too much.

I asked my vet who and she said that as long as I am using a UVB bulb I don't need to give my bearded dragon a D3 supplement. But I have read elsewhere that, that's only true if you use a mercury vapor bulb. I currently use a reptisun 10.0 UVB mini compact bulb for his basking and will be getting an 18-inch Aiicioo 10.0 UVB bulb for the other side of his enclosure.

As for the calcium I feed him black soldier fly larva(phoenix worms) every day, and I have read too much calcium is a bad thing.

On Monday Wednesday and Fridays he usually eats: 15-20 dubious roaches,20-30 phoenix worms, 10 wax worms.

Tuesday, Thursdays, Saturdays, Sundays: 5-10 dubious roaches, 40-60 phoenix worms, 10 waxworms

(Those feeders are separated between two feedings)

He gets greens twice a day

He is around 9 months old and I will be cutting back on his live prey once he reaches the 1-year mark. I know that wax worms are fattening and am being careful to make sure he does not gain weight. He eats his live prey until he is filled every feeding and is active.

MAIN QUESTION: With that diet should I use Calcium and if yes, should I use with D3 or without D3. As well as the multivitamin I was planning on switching over to, has calcium in it as well (4.4%-4.6%). (Herptivite with beta carotene Multivitamin for reptiles and amphibians)

Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First I would be getting rid of the mini compact UVB -- here is some info on that
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- please make sure its a 10.0 bulb and not a 5.0 HO bulb - those are for tropical reptiles --
Next you need to start giving your guy calcium D3 every time you feed his bugs - 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week --- hes 9 months old -- he will eat those bugs as a main diet till hes around a year -- still offer him his greens like mustard collard turnip green beans every day --- but please get your UVB changed out --- I dont know why vets dont ask about UVB since its so crucial to their over all health and behavior
Karrie

PiffTheBeardedDragon

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your input I will be changing out the reptisun compact for a Repti Sun 10.0 UVB (18-inch) and dusting his prey. The bulb I am purchasing does not say T5 so it should be inside his tank not on top of the screen?

Thank you again

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If its a 18" that would be a T8 --- T5's take a flat fixture where a T8 takes a regular fixture and can be found at Petco or Petsmart and as far as I know they do not carry T 5's --- I had to order mine on line --- so if the fixture is a regular fixture it would be a T 8 and would need to be inside the tank approx 8-10 inches from basking spot-- also T5's only come in a 22" I think - I have a 24" in my tank --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom