Incomplete tail shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulesNana

Hi there, first post!
I have a four year old male beardie called Julius. His most recent big shed was late last summer if I remember correctly. Nearly his whole tail shed - minus a band about three cm wide just above the middle of the tail. My husband and I seem to remember that that band actually shed first, some months prior, then the rest, minus the band later - but we're not 100 percent certain. Now that band has me concerned. It's snug, and shiny, and the flesh above and below bulges a bit. I don't know how serous a problem this is, or how to know when it becomes serious.
I followed advice I've seen several times of applying olive oil after a good long bath, but now I'm uncomfortable with that. It replicates nothing in nature, and I feel like the skin would be better if it were dry enough to crack..? This appears to be healthy skin, and has never loosened, it's not stuck dead skin.
Otherwise, he's always been healthy. No other shedding problems and has all his parts. His tank is six feet long, which allows for two basking areas, one gets up to 100-105F, the other (which he prefers) around 90-95F. We primarily feed him dubia roaches, which we raise, and green veg and berries.
What should I be doing aside from bathing and misting? Since it isn't dead skin that tried to shed and failed, I can't imagine how anything external would "help."
EDIT: I figured out how to post pics. These are about six months old, I keep forgetting to take new ones when he's awake.
Thanks for any advice.
104142-9358462374.jpg
104142-1124226656.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, the skin above + below the area is shedding while the area in question is not at the moment. Everything looks fine though. :) A warm soak 1-2 X a week may help facilitate shedding or if the tank has very low humidity you can spritz him in the tank 1-2 X a day.

JulesNana

Original Poster
AHBD":2cmnq2a4 said:
Hi there, the skin above + below the area is shedding while the area in question is not at the moment. Everything looks fine though. :) A warm soak 1-2 X a week may help facilitate shedding or if the tank has very low humidity you can spritz him in the tank 1-2 X a day.

Thanks for the response. I can understand how the picture might make you think that, but no part of his tail is shedding now. Maybe I can see it more clearly because I've been watching it progress for nearly a year. The constricted part of the tail did not shed during the most recent shed and it's gotten tighter and tighter.

The previous picture was from six months ago, but this one is from today. Since the olive oil treatment a few days ago, the color difference is harder to see, but you can see how there's a tighter area. I just can't find any information on how to tell when it's tight enough to cause damage or what to do about it.
104142-7622641586.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom