Meet Baby Ragnar! ( Added some new pics (: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
This is Ragnar:
104131-2333410774.jpg

And we are so happy to have found this place. I bought Ragnar from Petsmart Saturday evening. I'll admit he was a bit of an impulse buy. My beardie that I had previously died that morning and my family was heartbroken. She was given to me by my sister because she (Izzy) wasn't given the attention She deserved. I've learned so much here lurking over the past few days. Still upset, and feeling guilty that my ignorance to the species may have contributed to her passing.

Here is my Izzy:
104131-3982200092.jpg
Miss her so much. She was such a big snuggler.

But that's a little of my background.
I'm completely new to babies so I'm reading up on everything I can for Ragnar so he can be happy and healthy. I believe I've got the lighting good. He's eating 5=8 crickets at a time. Is trying salad (so far turnip greens and apples) and is getting adjusted to being part of the crew. He runs up to my hand and climbs in when i put it in the tank; and for the first time last night, curled up and fell asleep on me.
I measured him Sunday and he was 5 1/2 inches from about to tail. He's so tiny.

He also went through a full body shed on Monday. Was crazy to watch.
104131-6866371035.jpg
104131-8554800469.jpg
104131-2029450089.jpg

I look forward to getting to know you and your beardies and learning as much as I can about these precious creatures. :) if y'all have any advice or tips, please share!

Jess

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum-- sorry to hear about the other one that passed but it is not uncommon for people to learn after the fact of the first one dying --- w/ that said can you post pics of your tank and lighting set up before we can give any pointers to help you out
thanks Karrie

Jessluvsdragons

Original Poster
Karrie=
This is what it looks like right now
104131-6868726355.jpg

This is a temporary set up. I have the Reptisun UVB bulb 10.0 T8 24 inch resting on top of the tank from Izzy' s things There is no cover and it is not blocked by mesh. I also have a 75 watt basking bulb for heat on top of the mesh. I had an exoterra 150w basking bulb, but I was afraid it was too hot for the size of enclosure. Ragnar was glass surfing quite a bit and I thought it was his reflection, but I think it was from the bulb. I put what paper I had up to try and stop him, but he didn't until I changed the bulb. He's much calmer now. I'm using what I can at this point til friday. I plan on getting a new dome fixture for the heat bulb.

The UVB and basking light are both exactly 8 inches from the top of his basking spot. I'm getting an infrared temp gun this Friday so I can be sure of temps.

I have a shirt of mine in there so he can get used to my scent and paper towels for a "substrate".

I do have a much larger enclosure from Izzy, but I'm scared to use it. I don't know if she had anything contagious. If I can, what can I disinfect it with that's safe for him? Or do I just need to throw her stuff out and start completely over? What do you think?

Jess

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok you can order some F 10 on line for sanitizing the tank --- that is easiest -- it last a long time - follow directions on the bottle -- I have mine mixed up in a bottle for future use but so far have not really had to use it -- its gets rid of everything -- I sprayed my tank let it sit for 10 minutes rinsed w/ water and then cleaned again w/ vinegar and water mixture I use for every day cleaning --- you can spray her stuff down that is washable I guess and clean them the same w/ the tank -- and yes he is definitely going to need a bigger tank -- but everything else sounds real good -- also for future reference w/ your bigger tank -- non adhesive shelf liner is good some w / some texture and or slated ceramic tile is good for a permanent enclosure-- can be purchased at Home Depot Lowes etc cheap -- and its so easy to keep clean -- vinegar / water 50/50 in a spray bottle
Karrie

Jessluvsdragons

Original Poster
Ok thanks for the info about the F 10. Maybe I can find it on Amazon or something. Izzy s enclosure has the tiles that stick on. I hope those are okay to use. I'll probably end up tearing them off and soaking it down with the cleaner. Abd replacing with new ones. Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid, but I just want to make sure there's no chance if him catching anything.

Glad everything looks good for now and thanks so much for your advice!

Jess

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I ordered mine off Amazon-- and yes I would just get new tiles for the tank and clean under neath w/ the F 10 when it comes
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome!

Ragnar sure is a looker for a petsmart baby. He looks very pret.... handsome! :mrgreen:

Looking forward to more pics of the little guy.

-Brandon

Jessluvsdragons

Original Poster
Thanks! I think we got pretty lucky with him/her. I hope his orange stays bright like that. I walked up to the tank in the store and he did a little wave. He was the only one in his rank. So i said yep little buddy you're coming home with me. ?

Jess

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Cute!! I have seen them in Petco get real friendly like that--
Karrie

Jessluvsdragons

Original Poster
Thought I'd post some more pics. We got him a tree branch to climb around on while I wait on the F10 to get here for Izzy s old enclosure.
104131-9335541511.jpg
104131-568514178.jpg

Climbing around, licking everything
104131-6523674163.jpg

Loving it! Had to put some cushion down on the bottom since he believes he can fly.
104131-1579849241.jpg

First sexy leg!! Camera doesn't do justice for his coloring.
104131-5782958195.jpg

Another picture hooman??
104131-3628672399.jpg

Got a new dome fixture and a Infrared thermometer. Had to switch to a household bulb because the other was too hot.. His basking spot is 107.3. His appetite goes back and forth some days but he ate good this morning. Seems to be getting used to us and is a happy little guy!

Jess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom