Baby Beardies legs and toes are twiching!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
im new to this site!
Alduin, my new beardie is roughly 2-3 months old. hes shed once since ive had him, which has been just under 2 weeks. this afternoon i noticed his hind legs were twitching and it has me very worried!!! he is very active (runs around a LOT) hes in a70 gal tank, bascking spot was 90-95 but i upped it to 100 after i noticed him shaking. he hasnt eaten today either? from what ive read it could be the beginning of MDB? i am a new owner and very, very worried for my little baby =( PLZ HELPP

Edit; he has finally ate a little bit, he ate 4 calcium powder covered crickets but i think he was afraid of them at first because he hissed Very aggressively at them. i also gave him a luke warm bath

Update: he has stoped theshaing ever since i installed the new uvb light =))))) im so happy!hes back to himself eating and running around!!!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, yes that is the classic sign of the beginning of MBD. Being in a huge tank it's very likely that the uvb bulb is too far away to do him any good, they need good uvb to absorb calcium. What type of uvb bulb do you have , be specific. Post some pics of the set up. Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them.

If your weather is sunny and 65-80 degrees you can take him out in a plastic tote to get some sun. If it's 80 or above you'll need partial shade so the plastic tote doesn't overheat.

AlduinTheBeardie3

Original Poster
Thank you for the quick response! i just found out the losers at petsmart sold me a cheap "daytime heat lamp" that has 0 UVB!!! im going to the store this moment to find me a really good uvb basking light

AlduinTheBeardie3

Original Poster
AHBD":31d6u7du said:
Hi there, yes that is the classic sign of the beginning of MBD. Being in a huge tank it's very likely that the uvb bulb is too far away to do him any good, they need good uvb to absorb calcium. What type of uvb bulb do you have , be specific. Post some pics of the set up. Here's how :

If your weather is sunny and 65-80 degrees you can take him out in a plastic tote to get some sun. If it's 80 or above you'll need partial shade so the plastic tote doesn't overheat.

Thank you for the quick response! i just found out the losers at petsmart sold me a cheap "daytime heat lamp" that has 0 UVB!!! im going to the store this moment to find me a really good uvb basking light

AlduinTheBeardie3

Original Poster
AlduinTheBeardie3":3paj89z6 said:
AHBD":3paj89z6 said:

!!!!If you ever see this i bought a Retisun 10.0 uvb 13 watt desert bulb!!! i really hope that this can help my little baby =)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is it a tube or coil? If its a coil take it back -- you need a T 5 or a T 8--- the 10.0 long tube-- same brand-- and it needs to go into the tank --- 8-10 inches for the T 8 and 10-11 for the T 5
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh poor thing, that was the classic symptom/sign of metabolic bone disease, early onset.
It sounds like you got it caught early though for him.
Did you get the long fluorescent tube bulb or the compact/coil light for him?
If you can, post pictures of him along with the tank setup so we can see what it all looks like.
He will need the calcium once per day 4-5 days per week. Be sure also, that the crickets are
smaller than the space between his eyes, to avoid impaction, too.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom