Beardie just threw up **Newbie reptile owner**

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon threw up a few weeks ago, so I gave him a bath, cleaned up the mess etc

He hasn't been pooping often and threw up again 10 mins ago. This morning he woke up very angry and wouldn't bask all day. He even hid in his log. He's been acting more antisocial than usual and wakes up angry for no reason. He's around 14 inches long now, lives in an 75 gal tank and the temp is usually 110 degrees. I've been feeding him superworms for about 4 months and hasn't had any trouble eating them until now. I feed him his veggies maybe twice a week, and occasionally I feed him crickets. He wakes up stressed a lot and sometimes mad. I'm very worried about him. Any help :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Can you review your tank setup with us, so we can be sure it is all correct. Include the type/
brand of UVB, the temperatures & what you use to measure them with, supplementation &
substrate used.
How big is he? If he has thrown up most of the times, it is caused by either eating too close
to lights out for them, or eating too much at one time. If he ate too many superworms at one
time, that may have caused him to throw up, but not sure.
Did you give a lot of fluids before he ate?
If he wakes up stressed, he might not be getting good enough sleep. Is it dark & somewhat
quiet in there for him to sleep?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

JaminsonAndHam

Original Poster
My uvb is reptisun, and I use Zoo med's Dual Thermometer & Humidity Gauge to measure temp and humidity. His substrate at the moment is tile, and I used Zoo med repti calcium with D3. He's 15 inches, almost 16. He doesn't drink water often, and before he threw up he didn't have any fluids. It's always quiet when it's time for him to sleep but sometimes I leave a lamp on at night. Today he's basking and seems well. I took him out to re-measure him and he seemed fine with it. He's looking a lot better today and I fed him a little greens.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A couple things in regards to your husbandry.

Can you be more specific on the UVB? There are many types of reptisun bulbs and not all of them are suitable for dragons. Is yours a long tube or a compact coil?

Unfortunately your thermometer is no good for the main temperature you need to know, your basking surface. Additionally, dial stick on thermometers can be off by over 20 degrees regularly and in extreme cases worse than that. You need to invest in an ir gun or a digital thermometer with probe end. Luckily both of these options are cheap now a days but it's really the only way to get your basking surface temp.
Your temps could be fine, but if they are it's all a guess and luck. You need to know.

If his basking surface isnt warm enough he will not be able to digest properly. This could potentially cause him to vomit, although its not that common as low temperatures usually first cause low appetite. Which in turn would make it hard for there to be anything to vomit up in the first place.

Either way you should know what that temperature is. if it's where it should be, great! If it's not, at least you'll know and can remedy it.

I'm glad he seems to be doing better today.

I would recommend letting him sleep in complete darkness. light does mess up their sleep like Tracie suggested. Sometimes when I don't sleep enough I could vomit too Haha :D

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom