Louie the bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
decided id make a thread so i can share my beautiful girl.

Mabel came home with me November 13 2018
102094-2234621812.jpg
she was 6 in. the store couldnt tell me her age, but i guessed she was around 2 months or less.
i have only had her about a month, but its been great.
102094-1028074841.jpg
102094-125169200.jpg
102094-8652638453.jpg

she started out in my old 55 gallon aquarium but i decided to get her a Exo Terra 40 gallon with doors that open in the front, i like the design a lot better. its much more convienient. now i just need to find the money to buy her some extras for her cage.
102094-4313758244.jpg

this was about 2 days ago, shes getting big, she is now 11 in and weighs 73 grams.
102094-8606921802.jpg

and this is her right now, December 19 2018, laying on her hammock with her grumpy face because shes shedding lol
102094-4053306836.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Just went through the whole thread. Was really cool to see Mabel (louies...) transformation haha. On many different spectrums lol.
Come on! Lou was just wreaking of masculinity from the beginning how could you not tell! :lol: :lol:

-Brandon

BeardedMabel

Original Poster
dumb question, the answer is probbaly he just is who he is but i was curious if anyone knows why my man has never black bearded before. i thought maybe hes just a happy little thing but earlier today while he was basking on my deck i decided i wanted to go in so i went to pick him up and he puffed up and opened his mouth at me. im not sure if he was scared and i approached him from too high of an angle or if he didnt want to be moved but i just found it strange how he didnt black beard because he was obviously in some type of stress. sometimes he’ll randomly open his mouth while out of his inclosure for a couple seconds without puffing his beard and i cant tell at all if that means something either.

BeardedMabel":3gkvb481 said:
dumb question, the answer is probbaly he just is who is he is but i was curious if anyone knows why my man has never black bearded before. i thought maybe hes just a happy little thing but earlier today while he was basking on my deck i decided i wanted to go in so i went to pick him up and he puffed up and opened his mouth at me. im not sure if he was scared and i approached him from too high of an angle or if he didnt want to be moved but i just found it strange how he didnt black beard because he was obviously in some type of stress. sometimes he’ll randomly open his mouth while out of his inclosure for a couple seconds without puffing his beard and i cant tell at all if that means something either.
mine is about 6-7 months old and he won't black beard either. I thought he was female and named him Matilda. Even the vet thought he was female at first and now a breeder looked at him and thinks it's a he.

But either way, s/he won't black beard either. I don't know if it is linked to gender or what.

BeardedMabel

Original Poster
little concerned for my big man. his basking temp (the tile) ranges from 105 directly under light to 95 around it. his ramp gets hot at 115 but he doesnt use it ever anymore, his log is 90, his hammock is 90 and the cool paper towel side of the tank is 80 but lately hes been hanging out under his hammock in the shade where it is 80 and when i pick him up his belly is cold ): mutiple times throughout the day ill place him on the warm tile and he’ll stay there for a couple hours but always somehow ends up back with a cold belly. i wasnt home yesterday and he didnt poo which makes me think he probably didnt bask at all on his own. is this a bad sign? why doesnt he do it on his own?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Have you gotten the heat down on the ramp ? That 115 temp may be too hot for him now-- from the way it looks everything looks good as far as the husbandry thing -- its hard to say why hes hanging out on the cool side--- how about eating ? is he eating and the pooping thing they can go a while from what I have been told for pooping-- it seems his metabolism has slowed down if his eating has slowed hence the pooping thing too -- see if others on the board came chime in on this and have some ideas
Karrie

BeardedMabel

Original Poster
its hard to say with his food intake because i switched his diet a couple months ago from mostly crickets/occasional baby dubia to only medium/large (not adult) dubia and 2 superworms every other day so it seems like he doesnt eat as much but it might be equal to what he was before because theyre bigger/more nutritious, i dont know. he would go through about 40 crickets a day and now he eats 5-10 large dubia and a bit of salad.
underneath his hammock is technically on the hot side of the tank but since its in the shade it gets down to 80. he likes to chill under there but his belly feels cold to the touch. i know 115 is pretty hot, might as well just take the ramp out hes basically too big for it now anyways. that would make the hottest spot in the tank 105. 90-95 on hot side and 80 on the cool side. is that too hot for an 7 month old?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So yes hes eating good if hes eating 5-10 large dubia they are way more filling and better for him plus hes eating salad too -- thats good-- the basking temp should be there for a 7 month old but is there a way to test it to get it down to see if that changes his behavior and sitting under the basking light? Is he under the UVB at all during the day?
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom