Rescued Male Beardie with no notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

m00n1e

Hatchling Member
A friend of a friend's mother was left after a break up with this Beardie and just wanted him gone. I'm not in a perfect financial place to get a Beardie on no notice but after she threatened to toss him outside I just had to grab him. Unfortunately she wouldn't give up any of his goods except the light and a heating pad *eyeroll* neither of which are ideal but will help me until I can buy replacement items. I spent my last 60 on some food and a 10.0 uvb bulb unfortunately because of the light housing she already had it's a compact or coil type but I still went with a zoomed (I just have always heard better things about them than zilla. I live in a small town and only have a Pet Co I of course can order online but again it was get him now or he is tossed. I had a 10 gal laying around but the poor guy is full grown so he is basically in a glass box his size with a cut out piece of cardboard for his light. I have pictures but I'm not sure how to or if I can post them from my phone. After looking I found a 20 gal long tank for nearly nothing on a face book local selling page I can pick up tomorrow I know this isn't really a good fit but something better than the 10 for now. Poor buddy sorry for the novel. I have owned a Beardie before and posted here so I'm not completely unaware but any tips are super appreciated.

m00n1e

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ega6mu.jpg

c6snt.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Jeez a even a clear plastic tote bigger than the 20 gallon would be good but at least you were thinking - did you happen to look for lighting fixtures on Facebook Marketwatch under bearded dragons ? or try craigslist in your area --- you can post pics by going to User Image Uploader at the top of this page - down load your pics and then click on reply at top of message box - click on XIMG pics should post -- let page refresh and see it they posted -- I am not sure how to post from phones -- you will need a basking light for sure to keep him warm and a UVB fixture as soon as you can get one-- and yes the UVB is a good one --- ok pics posted --- yes that coil is no good -- glad you are going to change that out -- well I hope you can get his tank going = your really gonna haft to do some upgrading that is for sure- and I wish I could help you out - I have an extra light fixture that a T 8 bulb would fit in-- but there is a light fixture you can get at Home Depot heres the link
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-18-in-Fluorescent-Under-Cabinet-Light-Fixture-16466/100384834
Karrie

m00n1e

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much for the home Depot idea we have one locally so that is awesome I'll order the bulb online Petco was out of them. I can't find any used on my face book or Craigslist but am getting him a bigger thank tomorrow so thankful that worked out so quickly poor guy. But his life is only up from here! I'll keep updating. Any insight (anyone) on how healthy or not he looks?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Its hard to tell from the angle can you post close up of his body head etc?
Karrie

m00n1e

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sorry busy few days here are some close ups of him.
w9cjs6.jpg

2060j03.jpg

153y2l4.jpg

And he got a tank upgrade today!
2uiyede.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Wow he looks really thin in the pics-- what are you feeding him? And its good that you got him into a bigger tank but w/ him in the tank he looks big! What size tank did you get him into? Hopefully you will be able to get him into something even bigger in the future cuz he does look like hes outgrown that tank as well -- and he looks thin in some of the pics -- if you have a kitchen scale please weigh him and measure him as well -- is he eating and pooping--- ?
Karrie

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
mOOn1e, I am glad you got him.
Even the conditions he is in now are much better than the alternative. There is always room for improvement down the road. Right now you need to focus on getting him back into a healthier state.

Yes those coil type bulbs are not up to par for dragons but, it's better than no UVB at all. Tank size can be dealt with at another time (in the near future). What size tank was he in before?
Just get his temps right and, keep him fed well. He does look a bit dehydrated and, thin but his muscle tone looks fairly good. If he will eat greens, you can spritz them with spring water to add to his hydration.

m00n1e

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes I was afraid he was too thin. This is day 4 and he did seem too excited the first time I put food down poor thing was probably super hungry so I have been keeping his dish full of food I got freeze-dried grasshoppers and fresh collard greens as well as a freeze dried bok choy green bean and pea mix. I have been breaking the grasshoppers in half because I'm paranoid they are too big lol. He has been pooping and eating daily. The first night he didn't sleep at all and was all over the place but sense the nicer tank he has been sleeping.
As far as the tank goes I haven't been able to get a solid answer on what he was kept in but he was with a female until she died recently (no idea when) So this new one was listed as a 30gal long for 20$ and I knew it wouldn't be permanent but again on a budget I was happy to give him the upgrade... Upon meeting the fellow from the internet it is actually a 20 gal long which is as you can see not a good fit... I did only pay $10 but now am back on the hunt for a 40gal.
This paycheck I will be getting the proper UVB light and maybe another hood lamp for heat it could be warmer. I need a few more thermometers and a humidity gage. I have the probe sitting on the wall with the heating pad and near the light but he can get closer to the light on his rock fixture so I'm assuming he gets another 5 to 10 degrees from there. The probe hangs out at 90° so still looking to increase it a tiny bit.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Keep the probe and buy a Infrared Heat gun --- they are around $10 at Walmart Home Depot or Lowes the dial thermometer is not any good -- not accurate --- and glad the lighting thing is coming next -- that UVB is essential and crucial for his health -- please switch over to live bugs -- crickets if you haft to --- and please dust them w/ D3 calcium powder --- he should be eating vegies like fresh turnip collard mustard greens squash any kind like butter nut yellow zucchini-- fresh fruit apples strawberries blueberries -- dandelions are coming in season they can be picked from your yard as long as they are NOT SPRAYED!!! you can feed him the flowers and the leaves no stems--- he can eat sweet potato grapes NO CITRUS-- the dried stuff really isnt that good --- fresh is always better ---
Karrie

m00n1e

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sorry if that was typed confusing but the collard greens are fresh and I plan on feeding him live but these grasshoppers were on sale and I didn't have anywhere to keep anything alive set up, beardie's tank included lol now I could look at keeping something in that 10 gal he was in the first day. I do live in a studio so keeping crickets in here might drive me batty but I still plan on looking into my options. Thanks for all your insight and advice.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Buy some dubia roaches -- they are alot easier to keep than crickets anyway -- they can go in that 10 gallon aquarium they dont jump or fly and wont be able to get out of that 10 gall aquarium -- feed the carrots apples squash -- they dont chirp and they dont stink --- plus they are alot healthier than the crickets - you can hide them from your landlord - they will never know they are there --
Karrie

m00n1e

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So I have found out a little bit more about this mystery guy but I haven't been able to get ahold of his old person. I found out from one of their kids that he was mostly free range of the house and she would only put him away sometimes? Not sure the details of what that means but I am so happy he lives with me now.
In regards to feed him should I be limiting how much he eats? I know he is under weight but will he over eat? How much is too much?

Also wanting to know about bonding? The only Beardie I had was a baby so I was just with him all along and he always cuddled and trusted me and climbed up on me but this new guy, let's me touch him and pick him up and hasn't ever puffed up or anything he just looks at me all side eyed haha I have thought about putting something of mine clothing wise in the tank but wanted him to be a little more settled I have taken him out a few times and let him run around but I kind of heard him into an area I know he can't go under anything and I can't tell if he enjoys it or is terrified trying to escape the crazy giant human... I know this is just all still so new for him and I have NO clue how old he is

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
With you feeding him he will eventually bond- I would limit time out -- one he needs to be under UVB and basking per my vet they only need to be out 2 hrs unless you have them actually outside-- in the sun - she said alot if people let them roam all day she frowns on that w/ no basking or UVB and that is not good-- the longest I leave mine out is 2 hrs simply because I have nothing set up for him to warm etc... I really don't think he will over eat offer him bugs 2 times/ week and vegies a variety if he eats all of it you can always give more-- make sure you dust his bugs tho-- that is just what I would do some others can chime in on this-- did you get his UVB changed out? What about dubias?
Karrie

m00n1e

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have the light housing from home Depot you suggested and my zoo-med light should be here the 23rd. I have been feeding him the grasshoppers and collard greens everyday and some of that freeze-dried mix 2 or so times a week along with it. I got paid today so the dubias and a variety of fresh veggies and maybe a fruit or two are next on my list. I haven't taken him out for more than 20 mins at a time once a day no where near 2 hours my studio has a few too many places he can hide I'm just to nervous to let him roam. He has had a few baths too so a tiny bit more time out included there but he is mostly in the tank. He does seem to want out but I assume that's just because he isn't used to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom