Beardie losing weight and refusing food after brumation

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Beardie losing weight and refusing food after brumation

Postby NathRay » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:36 am

My 18 month old beardie Spyro has recently come out of a 4 month Brumation about 5 weeks ago, he was eating fine and acting as usual again up until about 2 weeks ago, then half of his tail started shedding and since then he hasn’t eaten anything. He glass surfs and wrecks his viv everyday and tries to poop everyday but only a small amount of poop and the urates come out. He has lost about 20g in this time. Is this all just because he is stressed as he is shedding. the temps and lighting is all correct and as usual. the shed does seem to be pretty stubborn. hope this makes sense, can answer any questions to help anyone try and work out what’s going on with him. Thanks so much

NathRay
NathRay
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:14 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Beardie losing weight and refusing food after brumation

Postby NiGhtMaRe050910 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:14 pm

Mabye give him a warm bath to help poop and and get rid of stress
NiGhtMaRe050910
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:38 pm

Re: Beardie losing weight and refusing food after brumation

Postby KarrieRee » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:40 pm

Can you post pics of his tank so we can see if there is something going on w/ his lighting--
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster
 
Posts: 3423
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Beardie losing weight and refusing food after brumation

Postby NathRay » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:19 pm

NiGhtMaRe050910 wrote:Mabye give him a warm bath to help poop and and get rid of stress


I am regularly giving him warm baths, he poops every time but again only urates and a tiny amount of poop.
NathRay
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:14 am

Re: Beardie losing weight and refusing food after brumation

Postby NathRay » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:26 pm

KarrieRee wrote:Can you post pics of his tank so we can see if there is something going on w/ his lighting--
Karrie


I can’t remember how to upload a picture but I know there is nothing wrong with his lighting. UVB bulb across the entire length of the tank, basking spot on the left, various points for him to bask between 95 and 105 degrees. Also has a spot high up on the cool side where he often spends time, higher up towards the UVB bulb. His UVB doesn’t need replacing as only did that recently and his tank is the same as it has always been. No differences. When he came out of his first brumation he was absolutely fine, eating normally, although he STILL refuses to eat any significant amount of greens, and he was pooping normally as well. Only thing I can think of that may have changed is the shed but he never normally refuses food outright when shedding so it’s strange behaviour for him
NathRay
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:14 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Beardie losing weight and refusing food after brumation

Postby KarrieRee » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:59 am

If hes trying to get closer to the UVB as high as he can get then I am wondering about the UVB --- what kind is it and is it on top of screen?
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster
 
Posts: 3423
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Beardie losing weight and refusing food after brumation

Postby AHBD » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:29 am

Hi Nath, are you sure that Spyro is a male ? These can be signs of pre -egg laying behavior. Post a few pics with Spyro's tail arched up high like [ scroll down to the pic ] :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/

BTW a 20 gram weight loss is nothing, they can lose that after a large poo. And even f Spyro is not a female this behavior is common in spring , they become hormonal and can lose interest in food.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 22895
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am

Re: Beardie losing weight and refusing food after brumation

Postby NiGhtMaRe050910 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:26 am

NathRay wrote:
KarrieRee wrote:Can you post pics of his tank so we can see if there is something going on w/ his lighting--
Karrie


I can’t remember how to upload a picture but I know there is nothing wrong with his lighting. UVB bulb across the entire length of the tank, basking spot on the left, various points for him to bask between 95 and 105 degrees. Also has a spot high up on the cool side where he often spends time, higher up towards the UVB bulb. His UVB doesn’t need replacing as only did that recently and his tank is the same as it has always been. No differences. When he came out of his first brumation he was absolutely fine, eating normally, although he STILL refuses to eat any significant amount of greens, and he was pooping normally as well. Only thing I can think of that may have changed is the shed but he never normally refuses food outright when shedding so it’s strange behaviour for him

Go To User Image Uploader Upload Images Then Post Using the XIMG button to add image
NiGhtMaRe050910
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:38 pm

Re: Beardie losing weight and refusing food after brumation

Postby NathRay » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:49 pm

Hi Everyone, thanks for your advice. Spyro laid 24 eggs on Monday!!! I had suspicions he may have been a she anyway but this has confirmed it! She has gone back to eating and acting as usual now, thanks everyone :)
NathRay
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:14 am

Re: Beardie losing weight and refusing food after brumation

Postby AHBD » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:01 am

That's what I suspected. Confirmed female, many owners do get this surprise . :)
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 22895
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]