Our new spikey scale babies Cleo & Caesar

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Caesar was not impressed with me today , I had no crickets to give to him …. offered him a few BSFL lavae and the look of disgust he gave me was …. comical.
Being a softy I gave in and fished out some newly formed mealworm pupae and newly hatched mealworm beetles who were still soft and light coloured …. he loved them !!! (So did Cleo who climbed off her high basking spot and muscled in Caesar's buggy banquet).
She still had room for 8 big BSFL afterwards and made fast work of them.

Cleo is smaller than Caesar but seems to have his measure.

Caesar shed today ( was dull looking at 3pm when I went off my afternoon siesta , and I found shed skin all over the place when I returned to give the kiddies their afternoon meal at 5pm).

Actually saw Caesar nibbling on some salad this afternoon (he's a sly/shy salad eater, wont eat it if he thinks he's being watched).

Caesar is definitely armwaving at Cleo. Been trying to get a video of this but every time I turn on the old point n shoot camera and select movie , he stops and stares at the camera - I think he can hear it.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Caesar definitely has a taste for the greens - watched him raid the salad / BSFL dish twice today , both times he picked out the strips of buk choi and left the grated carrot and finely diced buk choi whites (stems) and ignored the BSFL.
Raided the salad as soon as I deposited it in the dish , and I had top it up again , and be was back into it after his second meal of crickets.
He really enjoyed his 25 d/old (1/4 size) crickets (arrived yesterday).

He has been eating a few BSFL when I deposit them infront of him.

Cleo is the worm junkie - loves her BSFL , takes them whole and live from the top of the fake hollow log , and from my fingers , LOVES getting their meat squeezed out and deposited on her lips too.
She's not overly keen on crickets but readily takes them whole and alive from my fingers.
I'm giving Cleo an extra meal of insects each day , hoping I can increase the slope of her growth trajectory cf Caesar's (who is a great eater and I have zero worries about wrt his growth and diet and development.

Cleo and I are spending a lot of time each day having quality daddy time - she loves being handled and petted and having snuggles , and I think she likes my feeding her separately from Caesar ( on my chest and by hand ). Been getting those little endearing beardie glances from her and she's been wanting to snuggle in my armpit or the crook of my elbow. I think she likes me.

A new 26W UVB200 globe and an extra ceramic e27 fitting arrived today and I think I have spare NanoHood set aside , so I'll be setting up another 120L AllSet tub over the weekend so I'll have a 3rd rearing tub ready to go.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Cleo's first silkworm
12apr2019-cleo-s-first-silkworm-one-was-enough.png

, I have more . but mostly that are half that size but this one will be too big for the little bearded dragons in few days so I offered it first to Caesar who gave it thorough once over before disappearing back under the 1/2 log, he wanted his crickets.

Cleo studied it for a while and stalked it like a cat before deciding to eat it , she disappeared it pretty quick and so I offered another smaller silkworm (she looked at it decided she was too full, she also ignored some BSFL too.
A very good size meal for her so I'm pleased she tried it and ate it.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Caesar has gained 7.3g this week , now 27.6g. He has grown by 1.8x his original weight in 2 weeks.

Cleo has gained 3.7g this week , now 15.6g She has grown by 1.6x her original weight in 2 weeks.

Wife reported she saw the pair at the food dish at brekky , and they left only a few little bits of grated carrot and disappeared 6 BSFL between them.

Update : Caesar breakthrough << I waited until he was very tired and relaxed and ready to nod off tonight (about 11pm , about 2 hrs after the lights were turned off) and got him out placed him on my chest with my cupped hand over him (just his nose and tail not covered) and he was very good and never struggled and let me stroke him on the head and nodded off on me.
Think he's starting to trust me now.

Cleo was headnodding at Caesar this evening after their diner, Caesar responded by armwaving back at her.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
IMG-1547.jpg

Caesar enjoying a splash in the water dish , Cleo doing usual thing (soaking up maximum UVA & UVB).

IMG-1550-17apr2017-cleo-being-my-boss.jpg

Cleo likes my shoulder , and this afternoon climbed up top , just to show me who "the boss is".

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They definitely seem to be warmed up to you. Tombo still would rather run from me than be held. Moro could give a crap less about me, she just wants to explore. But she will at least not freak out at me coming to get her, since she knows shes going to get to explore. Tombo... he will open up his mouth or run. He's a big baby.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Caesar had his body skin explosion overnight , and he's a bit unsettled and itchy and unconfortable today , shedding on the eyelids and face and it's REALLY bugging him.

Cleo is a sweetheart. Couldn't ask for a more smoogy people friendly hatchling. She thinks she's the ants pants when she's being nursed in my upturned cupped hand and being petted and loves being handfed her crickets , bsfl and silkworms (this way I know for sure she is getting her fair share, else Caesar would just eat most everything (he's a bottomless pit when it comes to crickets & silkworms ( have to restrict him else) and his greens).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Caesar settled enough this afternoon to take his silkworm while sitting on my chest , then wanted off immediately .

He's had a bad "hair" day this afternoon , been using everyone and everything as a scratcher :
P4180030.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Update :

Cleo is now 19.3g ( + 3.7g this week ) ==> normalized growth = 1.93 x her original body weigh (in her first 3 weeks with us).
Caesar is now 32.4g ( + 4.8g this week , been in shed ) ==> normalized growth = 2.16 x his original body weight (in his first 3 weeks with us).

Now giving Caesar a nightly snuggle on my chest ( tucked in under the front of my t-shirt so he's completely covered and cozy and warm , he seems to like this and settles right away ). I wait for a couple of hours after their lights go out to do the Caesar bonding snuggle.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Hail Caesar
23apr2019-caesar-enjoying-a-bath-bigger-water-dish-needed-soon.png

gonna need a bigger water pond soon
24apr2019-caesar-likes-his-bit-of-drift-wood-but-will-soon-outgr.png

and a bigger bit of driftwood too.
Growing like crazy and he's insatiable when it comes to food.

HRHighness Cleopatra
24apr2019-cleo-where-she-likes-to-go-when-she-s-had-enough-bugs.png

Full as a goog and ready for a snuggle and very happy girl.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Weekly weighin :

Caesar is now 45g , gained 12.6g this week , now 3x his starting weight , very nice growth spurt despite being in shed this week.
He's such a greedy guts he's even catching errand blowflies (one came in with my wife and found it's way into the dragon rearing tub), he was very interested in it and eventually caught it in mid flight as it flew near him.

Cleo is now 25.3g , gained 6g this week , now 2.53x her starting weight , also a nice growth spurt from her this week , she loves her BSLF , now eating 16 to 20 large BSFL in a sitting given whole by hand.
She's pretty keen on the crickets too , but insists on getting these handed to her (up to 10 x 1/3 size cricket sitting).

Getting coordinated pooing , Cleo goes to the potty, and Caesar goes when he sees or smells her going.

Re-commissioned the cricket feeding rock , loaded it up with crickets and Caesar had a ball gobbling down the crickets as they came out the hole, but the plan is to put the pupating BSFL in it, and I've seen Caesar eating the newly emerged flies as they come out the hole.

Upsized the water dish , Caesar is too big for the old one now.

Upsized my next order of crickets from 25day old (1/4size) to 1/3 size. So today's bulk cricket order of 1/4 size crickets will not last long with Fluffy , Cleo and Caesar eating them. If it lasts til the end of next week we'll be in good shape.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Caesar didn't like the big water dish , never saw him in this week, so gave him back the old one and he was in it right away for a splash and bath.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Both now grown by at least 300%.

Cleopatra today 29.5g (+4.2g) ==> 2.95x
Her favorate food is definitely bsfl , given to her by finger. She'll eat up to 20 in a sitting. She also loves crickets , and will eat up to 10 x 1/4 size crickets in a sitting so long as I give them to her by hand.
Still not fussed with the salad.

Caesar today 55g (+10g) ==> 3.67x , he's insatiable , as soon as I place a silkworm anywhere he can see it , it's gone , he loves his crickets too (now eating 16 x 1/4 size crickets per meal in no time flat (by hand or when dropped near him a few at a time (they stand no chance of getting past him - he's a very good eater and loves his bugs, even developed a taste for bsfl now too ( I mix some their salad and I've seen him eat some from the salad dish ) had a few blowflies come in with my wife when she brought the weekly groceries in through the open front door which he was trying to eat through the plastic side of the rearing tank, so I caught them and placed them in with him and Cleo (she was interested but couldn't be bothered catching them when the buzzed by her), flying past Caesar was like a Kamakazi run , he was leaping and catching them in mid flight (very funny to watch LOL).
He loves his salad and is into it immediately when I put the fresh salad in the dish , when I get up in the morning , the salad is all gone less a few small bits of grated carrot.
Caesar's fine with being I petted by me now. But not so sure about me picking him up but was a good boy for today when I picked him up to do his weekly weighin.

I am pretty sure Cleo is 2 or 3 weeks younger than Caesar. Probably different clutches but been reared together and Cleo is quite the bossy little girl , if Caesar is where she wants to be , she either climbs intop of him or bulldozes him off the spot (despite the fact that he's 2x heavier than her - lol).

caesar-and-cleopatra-growth-data-first-5-weeks-with-us-3may2019.png

Raw growth chart.
caesar-and-cleopatra-growth-chart-A-first-5-weeks-with-us-3may2.png

Normalized growth chart.
caesar-and-cleopatra-growth-chart-B-first-5-weeks-with-us-3may2.png

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to see they're both doing so well! It is fun to watch them attack an airborne bug. They're sooooo quick when they want to be!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom