How do i convince my mom to let me get a beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive wanted to get a beardie for years, but ive just recently asked my mom about it. im fourteen and have a job, and i told her i would pay for it. ive done a lot of research on beardies and the costs, supplies, and the time commitment but she keeps saying no. i have three cats and she says that i dont take enough care of them. i asked her if i brushed, played, fed, did the litter boxes, and pet them for the rest of the month if she would get me one, but she never responded. i realize how expensive everything is and the time commitment it takes and im definitely willing to do it. she says that i can get one when i move out, but i want to get one now because this is my childhood and i want to make it worthwhile. what should i do to convince her to let me buy a berdie?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Beardie responsibility is very time consuming--- they are different from cats--- and being that you have cats you would haft to be very careful about having them around your beardie-- one attack and your little one is gone or can be severely injured --- I would wait till you get older and then get one--- they are more expensive than you think -- the husbandry is very tricky to get right and if its not right they either die or get very sick -- trust me I know and am still learning - I took mine to the vet today to a repitible reptile vet it was almost $300 and he wasnt really even sick --- no parasites no worms etc.... I had blood work done to make sure we were getting a clean bill of health -- so w/ that said I would recommend you wait like your mom wants you to---
Karrie

abbytimler

Original Poster
i was thinking about keeping it in my room where it would be safe away from the cats (the door shut). how much (mainly in the beginning) do they cost with all the necessary supplies? how often do you need to take it to the vet? thank you so much KarrieRee!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Tanks for them to get to their full potential should be 75-120 gallon -- you cant keep them in the 40 gallon tanks they out grow them pretty quickly -- lighting for them you would want the Reptisun 10.0 T 8 or a T 5 and those fixtures are a little spendy - I cant even tell you how much alls I know I have a lot vested in my tank - I can send a pic of mine if you want to see it --- the feeding can be expensive cuz you need to buy roaches from either on line or from a store there where you live if they carry them - they are overall more healthy for them -- its just a lot of money for someone your age to take on a responsibility like that and I dont know if your mom is willing to contribute to the care and up keep of the beardie-- I would recommend you wait till your out of school and go to work full time so you can take care of them properly and give the best care for them
My tank was $269 and that does not include everything in it
Karrie

abbytimler

Original Poster
alright. thank you so much for your feedback! it is highly appreciated. i will wait until im out of school since by the sound of it, it will be healthier for the beardie. it sounds like it gets pretty expensive quickly because just buying the tank itself (the amount you spent on yours) would be a single paycheck for me. thank you so much Karrie!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your welcome I don't want you to get in over your head and feel terrible if you can't afford to take him to the vet cuz he's sick--
Karrie

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Hi abby, I wanted to chime in too.

I recently waited a few years for a beardie, different circumstances, but I am glad I waited in the end.

What I think would work well for you is to start a savings account. Something that earns interest for a future bearded dragon and other fun future plans. I don't know where you live, what costs of living are, but having at least the equivalent of $750 USD saved. More for future vet appointments can be done too. That way you would not be blindsided by needing to get tests or medication for a discovered medical problem. It also allows you to buy a healthy dragon from a breeder and start with a large enclosure with lights and automated timers and thermostats.

Like I said earlier I waited to get a dragon. I was able to save some start up costs getting things secondhand like a quality enclosure and hides and a climbing log that I could clean very well. I did not save money in the end because of about $350 USD in tests and medicine due to a moderate parasite infection. Dragons keep a poker face and won't tell you when they feel sick, there can be symptoms but without testing someone might not know until an illness takes a severe form. Prevention with annual or biannual visits should be enough for most dragons with a fecal test every time and blood tests if needed. I had $1000 put aside for a dragon and used about $600 in the first month getting dragon, enclosure, roach colony, and vet bills. It was nice to do this without worries of breaking the bank and not having money. I'm also living on my own for years typical job boring adult life situation.

abbytimler

Original Poster
thank you DorgEndo for your response!

i have a savings account for myself, and i believe i have enough for a beardie. how do the automated timers work? also do you need to take them to the vet after you get them? how much was all the supplies (tank, lights, ect.)?

-abby

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
When you first get your beardie they will get whats called relocation stress-- those are stress marks that appear because they have been moved to a different enclosure- that is normal- it may take a while for him/ her to get used to you- which is normal - you may get behavior of them running from you or hissing - that is normal - and it may take several weeks for them to not do this anymore- the timers are for you to set up if your not around to turn lights on and off - I myself do not use that because I am home all the time and am here to shut them on and off -- I do have one here that plugs into the power strip and you just set it for the time you want it on and time your want it off- you can start by pricing out a tank -- start shopping around - look on craigslist / FB marketwatch in your area- but make sure you get a tank w/ doors that open from the front- you dont want something w/ top opening --- especially w/ your cats-- next the lighting which is the UVB -- that is pricey --- depending on where you get it either on line or pet store -- here is the lighting you should have and what to look for -- Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- just make sure you get the 10.0 bulb--
This stuff can be purchased a little at a time before you even get your dragon--- you can have it all set up before he / she even comes home- another thing that is cheap for a substrate besides reptile carpet - sand mats etc........... is the non adhesive shelf liner --- it can be bought at Home Depot Lowes etc..........it easy to clean w/ vinegar/ water in a spray bottle--- get some w/ some sort of texture so hes not slipping around on it- the insects will not be able to get under it when feeding your dragon- you just need the size of your tank -- and please NO SAND in the tank --- causes impaction in babies-- shop around for decor --- like Petsmart petco etc............ stuff that is new you wont need to thoroughly sanitize - you can always get logs/branches from outside but that stuff needs to be baked in oven to kill germs etc... I know people on here have done that --- make sure he has a hide and think big --- your dragon is going to grow--- you can search bearded dragon accessories on google - or Amazon-- you will need a Infrared Heat Gun from like Walmart Lowes Home Depot etc -they are around $10 -- that is for basking temps and give the most accurate temps- you might also want to put in a digital probe for your cool side of tank or so and it will give ambient temps -- a hydrometer which is for humidity --- you will need a basking bulb -- one that keeps his / her basking temp at 90-105 for adults and for babies 100-105 or so -- that is trial and error w/ that - depends on his tank where its located at how warm the room is that hes in - key word in all this is the husbandry --- as far as taking him to the vet you will need to let him get settled in before he goes to the vet - you dont want to stress him out more by taking him too soon-- that is a lot of info I just gave you I am sure others on here can give more info for you as well ---
Karrie

abbytimler

Original Poster
thank you so much Karrie for all the helpful information!
i will definitely keep all that in mind for when i get my new beardie! i can tell that the tank is very complex to set up. i will definitely keep researching everything!
thank you!!

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Hi Abby,

I saw this thread & just wanted to say thanks for caring enough about animals to post here looking for help instead of just going out & getting a beardie like a lot of people. Beardies can be expensive to care for, and people who find that out too late (adults included!) often contribute to the population of unwanted & neglected beardies, which is very sad. Definitely a mature move on your part, and I'm sure you'll make a great dragon parent when you get older! :)

abbytimler

Original Poster
Aaradimian-
youre welcome! i care so dearly for animals! ive been told its very expensive so ill start saving! thank you so much! ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Having cats in the house are a huge danger to any lizard.

You are a teenage girl ( IMO a big negative is you are a teenager ) , you will find the novelty of having to care for your pet dragon will soon ware off and will likely cramp your style socially , especially when you start wanting to date and go to parties , having a pet lizard is very time consuming and the lizard relies on you for everything it needs to even live , let alone be happy , you can't guarantee you'll be very diligent keeper for the dragon's life and give it the attention and care it needs (for up to 20 years) and it's clear mum is not interested in taking over when you loose interest in it ==> it will become neglected and miserable.

I'd say no too.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'll throw my 2 cents in.

I got into beardies at a very young age. I must have been around 12 or so. Possibly younger. Just from reading your responses, I can tell you are much more mature than I was at that age. I've been around beaardies for a long time now, but nothing matches the joy I had when I was a kid and brand new to them. I was so excited, so inthrilled, so consumed by beardies.... for a time. But, that is ok! I still love dragons, and i've learned and accomplished in this hobby more so than I could have ever imagined as a 12 year old.

My point is, I disagree with some of the reasoning you've gotten in this thread as to why you shouldn't get a dragon.

Time - Yes they can take up a lot of your time. So what, enjoy the time you do get with them. Get an adult if feeding schedules conflict. IMO even babies don't HAVE to be fed 3 times a day. Once before school and once when you get home will work very well.

Cats - I grew up at that time and I kid you not we must have had a dozen house cats. Yes, they add a level of caution to what you're doing, and danger, but it's not a death sentence by any means. And i'm sure there are hundreds of people on this board who also have cats..

Cost - I mowed lawns for 15$ a week, and that was enough to keep up for me. My parents helped, but there are ways.

Responsibility - You have already shown your level of responsibility in the fact that you are asking questions and thinking this one out.

My point is, if this is something you want, you should go for it. Don't rob yourself of the potential joys that this hobby can offer just because you are told you can't offer a 100% perfect home in some ones eyes. ( this is not a dig at anyone who posted a reply to this thread :) )
You will do your research, you will buy the right items, and you will provide a loving home for a dragon.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom