Beardie won't eat and is VERY skinny!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have any pictures of your dragon along with the tank setup that we could see?
How many hours of heat & light does he receive daily & how are you measuring his
temperatures?
We normally recommend waiting to feed superworms for them, until they are at least 6
months of age so that they can fully digest them. He is probably around 6 months or so
now, correct?
Superworms are fine to be fed, as long as they are fed with other protein sources too like
dubias or crickets, or even silkworms & hornworms.

Tracie

Kaelwizard

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He doesn't go everyday because of lack of time to digest that I talked about in the first post. I am going to start feeding him before school too. I just don't have a lot of time to do it. He has time to bask during the whole day from 6:00 to about 9:30 (on school days). On weekends at the most it would be like 7:30 to about 10:30 or 11:00.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Kaelwizard":312kct65 said:
He doesn't go everyday because of lack of time to digest that I talked about in the first post. I am going to start feeding him before school too. I just don't have a lot of time to do it. He has time to bask during the whole day from 6:00 to about 9:30 (on school days). On weekends at the most it would be like 7:30 to about 10:30 or 11:00.
You might need to invest in a timer to keep his daylight schedule steady. You can get them rather inexpensively at lowes or walmart. I use the ones that you push the buttons in to set the time.
With your schedule it, sounds like you need to feed him in the morning and, leave a good salad in the viv to get him over the hump. Just remember not to feed him after 7:30 pm if lights go out at 9:30.

Charlie's is set for 6am to 8pm and never deviates. So far he is happy as a pig in slop, LOL!!! "Other than he doesn't really like me yet, LOL!!!" He will be 5 months old next week and, is 16" long.

Kaelwizard

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Maybe I should get a timer. That way he can go to sleep with the lights out at the same time everyday.

Kaelwizard

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No he is not. We want to take him to a vet but we are afraid it will scare him. He used to be a great eater and was active but it is like he flipped a switch. Everything about him just changed.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post some pics of your tank and lighting--- it really plays a huge role in their eating digesting and overall health-- if he is still losing weight he won't last long if he's a baby
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is the T5 a 5.0 HO or a T 5 10.0 tube? Difference is stregnth of tube? Is your UVB on top of screen or in tank ? Sorry I can't tell- my guess it's your UVB he's not getting the rays he needs- that would cause him not to eat
Karrie

Kaelwizard

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1nuzouec said:
Is the T5 a 5.0 HO or a T 5 10.0 tube? Difference is stregnth of tube? Is your UVB on top of screen or in tank ? Sorry I can't tell- my guess it's your UVB he's not getting the rays he needs- that would cause him not to eat
Karrie
It is on top. Can't really put it anywhere else. As far as I remember it is a 5.0. Honestly I think all that screen top stuff is overly cautious. The light should be plenty strong enough to get as much UVB in there as he needs. That is just what I think anyway. If UVB can get through the ozone layer it can get through a screen top. I'm not trying to turn this into a debate. Besides. He got this way after we got the light. His basking light is an all in one too.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would say the 5.0 is not strong enough---- what size tank? If its a smaller tank take the screen off and see what he does-- he really needs to start eating soon --- he doesnt look good to me
Karrie

Kaelwizard

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1tw2wvhs said:
I would say the 5.0 is not strong enough---- what size tank? If its a smaller tank take the screen off and see what he does-- he really needs to start eating soon --- he doesnt look good to me
Karrie
He is in a 20 gallon. Might be able to get a tank tomorrow or sometime this week. I have no where to put his UVB light without the screen on though.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Since it's a 20 gallon take the screen off and lay it vertical or back to front if fixture is long enough or straddle it from side to back -- kitywampus-- if that works you can build his area up to the bulb--- take the cover off the bulb--- you want him 8-10 inches from spot
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom