Help by dragons eyes are swollen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel9999

I went to feed her this afternoon and saw her eyes super swollen. They weren’t that way last night. We took Beardie to the vet and the vet didn’t know what is causing it but perscribed antibiotic eye drops for a week. One eye still looks clear just swollen but the other eye is hard for her to open and a bit guncky.
So I am curious if anyone has had this happen before and what was the cause.
Thank you in advance for any help!

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
What type of UVB are you using? Improper bulbs can cause eye problems in bearded dragons, especially the coiled ones.

Did the vet run any tests at all?

If the eye drops aren't helping the eye that's stuck shut, you can try mixing raw manuka honey with distilled water, then use a Q-tip to gently wipe the solution over your beardie's eyelashes. I had an eye gunk issue with my bearded dragon and the manuka honey cleared it right up. Or, if you are comfortable with this, you could also use a kleenex to *very carefully* get some of the excess goop off of her eye, just to help make her a bit more comfortable and able to open it. (You shouldnt need to apply any pressure or rub, if there's goo thats been loosened by the eye drops or honey solution it should adhere to the tissue and you can easily pull it off)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Any updates for us on your dragon's eyes? If you have any pictures of her eyes, that
would help, too.
Which UVB are you using? As suggested, there are some lights that have proven to
be harmful on their eyes.
Flush them out with sterile saline solution, daily to try & get them cleaned out. Did the
vet not give you any antibiotic eye drops or ointment at all to help?
How old is your dragon?

Swollen eyes can also be caused by renal or heart issues, too which can be determined
by doing a blood test. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom