Bearded dragon sick! Vet is unsure of why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie is a little over 1 years old. And all the way up to the last three days my beardie has been healthy, energetic, and social. Then one day my boyfriend fed him his meal worms with a drop of ‘Fluker’s’ liquid calcium. 5 minutes after he ate, we put him on the bed to hang out and he started barrel rolling. Something we have never seen him to before. He went completely limp for a couple of minutes after that and we ran him under some warm water which make him come to. Since the incident my beardie has been lethargic way more than he is normally. He won’t pick his head up or barley open his eyes. And he has not been eating and drink very little water. I took him to the vet today and the vet had no clue on what could be making him act this way. One if my biggest concern is he won’t stopping gaping his mouth open and puffing his bearded in and out like he can’t breath. The vet gave him a anti biotic to flush his system and 1 cc of Baytril but still no change in his behavior. Please help me figure out what is wrong with him. He was a healthy beardie With no medical issues up until this moment. Anything’s helps guys.

Kayleeeann33

Original Poster
My beardie is a little over 1 years old. And all the way up to the last three days my beardie has been healthy, energetic, and social. Then one day my boyfriend fed him his meal worms with a drop of ‘Fluker’s’ liquid calcium. 5 minutes after he ate, we put him on the bed to hang out and he started barrel rolling. It looked like his muscles were seizing. Something we have never seen him to before. He went completely limp for a couple of minutes after that and we ran him under some warm water which make him come to. Since the incident my beardie has been lethargic way more than he is normally. He won’t pick his head up or barley open his eyes. And he has not been eating and drink very little water. I took him to the vet today and the vet had no clue on what could be making him act this way. One if my biggest concern is he won’t stopping gaping his mouth open and puffing his bearded in and out like he can’t breath. The vet gave him a anti biotic to flush his system and 1 cc of Baytril but still no change in his behavior. Please help me figure out what is wrong with him. He was a healthy beardie With no medical issues up until this moment. Anything’s helps guys.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Can you go over your setup with us?

What bulb are you using for uvb?
Is it a coil or long tube?
What are you using for a basking bulb?
What are the temps in your tank? Specifically your baking SURFACE?
Are you using a digital thermometer with probe or an ir gun?

Can you go over his average daily diet with us? Be specific please.

Idk if I'd trust this vet. Is itt an exotics vet? Antibiotics don't flush the system really...and baytril is an antibiotic so were two antibiotics used? And what was the reasoning behind the vet wanting to flush the system anyways? Was any blood work done? Or a fecal?

How is he doing right now?

-Brandon

Kayleeeann33

Original Poster
claudiusx":2qbiaqsb said:

Idk if I'd trust this vet. Is itt an exotics vet? Antibiotics don't flush the system really...and baytril is an antibiotic so were two antibiotics used? And what was the reasoning behind the vet wanting to flush the system anyways? Was any blood work done? Or a fecal?

-Brandon

Currently I am using a 75 watt UVB bulb that is in the same fixture as his basking lamp which is also 75 watts. They are coil bulbs and they’re both by zoo med. He has two basking spots, on top of his rock is about 114 degrees and when he sits on top of his felt in front of his rock is about 94 degrees which would be the surface temperature?? I am using a temperature gun to find the temperature.
His diet includes super worms but we have not be able to get him any these past two weeks so we’ve been getting him meal worms. On top of the meal worms we will feed him green lettuce (iceberg or romaine) and sometimes some cilantro (rarely). we will feed him at 12 and around 6 or 7 in the afternoon everyday. Sometimes the times vary.
Yes, I went to an exotics vet but dhe didn’t have much to say which kinda threw me off.. he said he doesn’t think the liquid calcium would make him act this way so he gave him 10 cc of SQ fluids to “flush” his system if it was the calcium he was sick from. Then he force fed him food and gave him 1cc of Baytril to “keep him warm”... I will send pictures of his tank so you can get a better idea.
As of now he doesn’t look any better he still doesn’t have enough strength to pick up his head. And he’s still opening and closing his mouth like he’s having a hard time breathing. Same with his beard.

Kayleeeann33

Original Poster
Kayleeeann33":bhn17hx0 said:
claudiusx":bhn17hx0 said:

-Brandon

Currently I am using a 75 watt UVB bulb that is in the same fixture as his basking lamp which is also 75 watts. They are coil bulbs and they’re both by zoo med. He has two basking spots, on top of his rock is about 114 degrees and when he sits on top of his felt in front of his rock is about 94 degrees which would be the surface temperature?? I am using a temperature gun to find the temperature.
His diet includes super worms but we have not be able to get him any these past two weeks so we’ve been getting him meal worms. On top of the meal worms we will feed him green lettuce (iceberg or romaine) and sometimes some cilantro (rarely). we will feed him at 12 and around 6 or 7 in the afternoon everyday. Sometimes the times vary.
Yes, I went to an exotics vet but dhe didn’t have much to say which kinda threw me off.. he said he doesn’t think the liquid calcium would make him act this way so he gave him 10 cc of SQ fluids to “flush” his system if it was the calcium he was sick from. Then he force fed him food and gave him 1cc of Baytril to “keep him warm”... I will send pictures of his tank so you can get a better idea.
As of now he doesn’t look any better he still doesn’t have enough strength to pick up his head. And he’s still opening and closing his mouth like he’s having a hard time breathing. Same with his beard.

No blood or fecal samples were taken.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello that didnt sound good w/ the barrel roll thing or the vet visit --- here is what you should be doing for lighting
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
You need to get a bright white bulb for basking-- as long as your temp for basking is 90-105 its good for an adult-- 114 seems too hot for me--
Please no more iceberg lettuce --- I think Romaine is ok but not as a staple -- he should be eating mustard turnip or collard greens all 3 would be good- green beans squash like zucchini or yellow - fruit like apples strawberries blueberries -- mango -- grapes NO Citrus--- protein should be dubia roaches I recommend or crickets -- the roaches would be better for him---
How is he doing today ? Please get the lighting changed out ASAP
thanks
Karrie

Kayleeeann33

Original Poster
KarrieRee":30w01d2h said:
Hello that didnt sound good w/ the barrel roll thing or the vet visit --- here is what you should be doing for lighting
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
You need to get a bright white bulb for basking-- as long as your temp for basking is 90-105 its good for an adult-- 114 seems too hot for me--
Please no more iceberg lettuce --- I think Romaine is ok but not as a staple -- he should be eating mustard turnip or collard greens all 3 would be good- green beans squash like zucchini or yellow - fruit like apples strawberries blueberries -- mango -- grapes NO Citrus--- protein should be dubia roaches I recommend or crickets -- the roaches would be better for him---
How is he doing today ? Please get the lighting changed out ASAP
thanks
Karrie

Thank you so much karrie. I am on my way to PetSmart to but him his new lights and fixtures. I’m also going to get him roaches but at the moment it looks like he still does not have an appitite. No improvement since last night. He’s still in the same spot with his head down and arms back. He’s still opening and closing his mouth like he’s trying to breath. It makes me incredibly sad to see him like this. He has never showed this behavior before. He was healthy one day and then the next he was sick. If you have any idea on what I can do to make him feel better I’d really appreciate it

-kaylee

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Wow-- not good- is his/her beard black?? Please PM TracieDrache613 and AHBD--- Tracie is our vet moderator and AHBD--- is very knowledgeable w/ dragons--- explain to them what happened--
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Without blood work it's hard to make any concrete suggestion besides make sure your husbandry is perfect. For now that will give him the best chance at recovery.

Getting the proper uvb bulb like suggested will be a big step and will hopefully start helping.
I agree with karrie though you need to feed more nutritious salads.
Here is a great link for that:
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

-Brandon

Kayleeeann33

Original Poster
KarrieRee":32jvqck8 said:
Wow-- not good- is his/her beard black?? Please PM TracieDrache613 and AHBD--- Tracie is our vet moderator and AHBD--- is very knowledgeable w/ dragons--- explain to them what happened--
Karrie

Yes his beard is very black. Has been the last three days.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He is in distress ---- I am not sure what is going on w/ him but get your lighting changed out as soon as you can --- this breathing thing I am not knowledgeable on that at all --- is he eating? You need to get w/ Tracie or AHBD on this breathing issue--- I am not happy w/ your vet --- and I would be looking or a new one-- I am not happy w/ mine either and am looking to take him to a different one as well
Karrie

Kayleeeann33

Original Poster
KarrieRee":186y4kdb said:
He is in distress ---- I am not sure what is going on w/ him but get your lighting changed out as soon as you can --- this breathing thing I am not knowledgeable on that at all --- is he eating? You need to get w/ Tracie or AHBD on this breathing issue--- I am not happy w/ your vet --- and I would be looking or a new one-- I am not happy w/ mine either and am looking to take him to a different one as well
Karrie

Hey karrie, I got the lighting changed out and gave him a soak bath but his behavior is scaring me so I’m currently at a new vet with him now. That vet that I’m at is not an exotics vet but there’s only one around me and that’s the one that did not help me very much at all. I trust this vet and hope he can run some test to see what’s the issue. I tried to contact Tracie but I am new to this website so I’m not too sure now too. Thanks again

-kaylee

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
See what this vet says--- its best a exotic reptile vet look at him but w/ the way he treated your beardie didnt sound good at all and it sounds like things were made worse--- you can PM Tracie Drache613 find her name on one of the boards and click on it -- on the left side of page under contact email and PM--
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please let us know what the vet says --- and what kind of lighting you got
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom