Is Rocket An ok size?

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Is Rocket An ok size?

Postby HippieLizards » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:18 pm

So Back in October I was gifted with a Baby Beardie, and So far he seems to be doing excellent, BUT, I'm seriously concerned about his size... Last I Measured he was 12" and he is around 7 months old(I think)? I don't have a recent weight record but I feel that he is extremely tiny for his age since I am always seeing posts about Like 4-5 month old beardies being almost adult size.

Am I doing something wrong??? He is always active and eager to eat, he eats 2x a day with around 15 bugs and calcium and he's got a good uvb, is he just tiny? Will he grow soon? Or am I just being overly paranoid? :( [Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]

Thank Y'all in advance! <3
Slave and Personal janitor to Five Beardies, one Crested gecko, one leopard gecko, three Betta fish, a Cat, a Ball python, and a community fish tank. (R.I.P my precious Thor, Cisco, & Ruby. You three will always be in our hearts).
HippieLizards
Gray-bearded Poster

Location: South of Neptune, Hidden away in my magical dragon lair.
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Is Rocket An ok size?

Postby AHBD » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:12 am

Hi there, Rocket is a nice looking dragon, beautiful colors + healthy looking. :) He's a bit on the small side but not terribly so and can still attain a good size. Does he eat 15 bugs twice a day or is that for both feedings ? Would he eat more or that's all he wants ? If he'll eat more then keep feeding him.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby Gormagon » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:06 am

All dragons have individual growth rates. He may hit a growth spurt at any time.
He sure is pretty though.
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
Gormagon
Extreme Poster

Postby HippieLizards » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:31 am

AHBD wrote:Hi there, Rocket is a nice looking dragon, beautiful colors + healthy looking. :) He's a bit on the small side but not terribly so and can still attain a good size. Does he eat 15 bugs twice a day or is that for both feedings ? Would he eat more or that's all he wants ? If he'll eat more then keep feeding him.
That's good to hear, Yeah normally with both feedings he'll stop eating his hugs after 15-20. Sometimes more but normally that's when He'll stop.
Gormagon wrote:All dragons have individual growth rates. He may hit a growth spurt at any time.
He sure is pretty though.

Ah, That makes sense, he was getting ready to shed on his arms and tail earlier, and yeah I just love his patterns and colors :D
Slave and Personal janitor to Five Beardies, one Crested gecko, one leopard gecko, three Betta fish, a Cat, a Ball python, and a community fish tank. (R.I.P my precious Thor, Cisco, & Ruby. You three will always be in our hearts).
HippieLizards
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby BeardedMabel » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:20 am

hes a very handsome man
BeardedMabel
Hatchling Poster

Postby HippieLizards » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:20 pm

lol Yes he is. :)
HippieLizards
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:55 am

He looks fine to me and like he has some mischief in him ( bet he keeps you amused with his antics and quirks).

Just for your comparison :

14 weeks old bodyweight
Peppa 82.8g
Toothless 66.5g
Rex 77.5g
Puff 65.7g

4 months old bodyweight
Peppa 119.5g
Toothless 91.1g

18 weeks old bodyweight
Rex 128.1g
Puff 105.2g

5 months old bodyweight
Peppa 191g
Toothless 137.1g
Rex 148.3g
Puff 129.8g
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : , Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Gutzy (F) rescued 27Sep19 - RIP 3Aug20 (est 12 yo), Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby HippieLizards » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:49 am

Yes he's definitely always into mischief, and Thank you for that, I'll weigh him as soon as I can. :)
HippieLizards
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby Peach » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:11 am

At 4 months, Bleu was 12 inches too. He's now 11 months and almost 20 inches and and just at 300 grams. He had a big growth spurt around the 7-month mark.
~Peach
Peach
Hatchling Poster

Postby HippieLizards » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:02 pm

Peach wrote:At 4 months, Bleu was 12 inches too. He's now 11 months and almost 20 inches and and just at 300 grams. He had a big growth spurt around the 7-month mark.
That's good to hear, Hopefully Rocket Will do the same. :)
HippieLizards
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby HippieLizards » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:49 am

He's now a year and 3 months old, 230 grams, and 20" long. Yet he's still not at complete Beardie size... he's still rather small. Is he just going to stay small? Or will he start becoming like Loki's size? It doesn't bother him too much, but literally every other 1 year old dragon is like twice his size. He's big, but he's just long and slender? What might I be doing wrong??

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

I'll try and get a safe comparison photo of him in a bit.
HippieLizards
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby Moon4wolfgirl » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:32 am

my blitz is the same way, im thinking shell just hit a growth spurt soon
Moon4wolfgirl
Hatchling Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:03 pm

Probably just hasn't grown into his body yet (think lanky teenager). He may stay slim as an adult which is good, but I'd expect him to gradually add on weight over the next several months.
CooperDragon

Postby HippieLizards » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:02 pm

Ok, I hope so. :) Thank you.
HippieLizards
Gray-bearded Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Health